List of Charge Conjugation and Parity numbers

In summary, a list of Charge Conjugation and Parity numbers for particles can be found online, but can be tiresome to search for individually. A helpful list can be found on Wikipedia and the Particle Data Group's website, listing the values of spin, parity, and charge parity in the form JPC. This convention may not be widely understood, but it is related to these quantities.
grzegorz19
Hi everyone,

i am just wondering why I cannot find a list of Charge Conjugation and Parity numbers for all the appropriate particles?

I mean, I can look online and sift through sources for individual particles (for example, after some research I have found the the photon has a charge conjugation number of -1, and it's parity is -1), however this is very tiring.

Is there anybody out there who has a good list of these things?

Thanks for your help!

(I especially would like to find this information for the neutral eta meson, the neutral pi meson, and the neutral rho meson)

Physics news on Phys.org
For even more particles, check the http://pdg8.lbl.gov/rpp2013v2/pdgLive/Viewer.action .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. That is so helpful. I did not understand this convention and had no idea it had to do with these quantities.

Cheers!

1. What is the List of Charge Conjugation and Parity numbers?

The List of Charge Conjugation and Parity numbers is a table that lists the quantum numbers associated with charge conjugation (C) and parity (P) symmetries for elementary particles. It is used in particle physics to classify and study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. Why are charge conjugation and parity important in particle physics?

Charge conjugation and parity are important symmetries in particle physics because they help us understand the behavior and interactions of particles. These symmetries allow us to predict the properties of particles and their reactions in experiments.

3. How are charge conjugation and parity related?

Charge conjugation and parity are related by the CPT theorem, which states that the combined operation of charge conjugation (C), parity (P), and time reversal (T) must leave the laws of physics unchanged. This means that if a particle behaves in a certain way under one of these operations, it must behave in the opposite way under the other two.

4. What are some examples of particles with different charge conjugation and parity numbers?

Some examples include the electron (C=-1, P=-1), positron (C=1, P=-1), and photon (C=-1, P=-1). These particles have different C and P numbers because they have different charges and different spin orientations.

5. Are there any particles with zero charge conjugation or parity numbers?

Yes, the photon (C=0, P=0) and the Higgs boson (C=0, P=0) are examples of particles with zero C and P numbers. This means that they are their own antiparticles and have no intrinsic spin orientation, respectively.