Bouncing an Egg on One Spring: Physics Project Help for Grade 12 Students

In summary, the conversation is about a grade 12 physics project where the objective is to drop an egg from 1.5 meters and have it bounce back up using compression springs without breaking the egg. The number of bounces will determine the grade, but using more springs will result in fewer bounces. The student is allowed to use any materials and is wondering if it is possible to bounce the egg on one spring. They also discuss the direction of the egg that can withstand strong forces and the specifications of the spring.
koozl
¿¿¿Help on Physics Project¿¿¿

I'm in grade 12 physics, and was given an assignment of dropping an egg from 1.5 meters and have it bounce back up using compression springs. we are being marked based on the number of bounces and not braking the egg. now i am allowed to use as many springs as I like but the more springs I use the less amount of bounces I will get. I'm also aloud to use any materials I wish to support the egg. My question is; is it possible to bounce the egg on one spring??¿¿¿

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a particular direction (axis) of the egg that can withstand a
a very strong force compared with the other directions. Do you know which direction that is?

Can you attach the spring directly to your egg?
Can the spring be whatever diameter, weight & spring constant you choose?
(if you keep the center of mass well distributed below the egg, it can bounce without falling or flipping over and cracking the egg)

Yes, it is possible to bounce an egg on one spring. The key to achieving this is to choose a spring with the right characteristics, such as its stiffness and compression rate. You will also need to carefully choose the materials to support the egg, to ensure that it does not break upon impact. It may also be helpful to experiment with different heights of the drop and different angles of the spring to find the optimal setup for maximum bounces. Additionally, you can research the physics behind the bouncing of objects on springs to better understand the principles at play and to help guide your project. Good luck with your project!

1. What are the basic components of a physics project?

The basic components of a physics project typically include a hypothesis, experimental design, data collection and analysis, and a conclusion. Other components may include background research and visual aids such as graphs or diagrams.

2. How do I choose a topic for my physics project?

To choose a topic for your physics project, consider your interests and what you want to learn more about. You can also browse through science magazines or websites for inspiration. It's important to choose a topic that is manageable and can be tested through experiments.

3. Can I collaborate with others on my physics project?

Yes, collaboration is often encouraged in science projects. Working with others can bring new perspectives and ideas to the project and can also help with dividing tasks and responsibilities. However, it's important to make sure that everyone contributes equally and that the project is a joint effort.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics project?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics project include not thoroughly understanding the scientific principles involved, not following proper experimental procedures, and not properly recording and analyzing data. It's important to carefully plan and execute your project to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. Can I use outside sources in my physics project?

Yes, it's common and encouraged to use outside sources in a physics project. This can include scientific journals, textbooks, and reputable websites. However, it's important to properly cite any sources used and to use them to support your own findings and conclusions, rather than copying them directly.