Draw a Line of Length √3: Tips from an Old Man

In summary, the Old Man suggests that to draw a line of length √3, one must first understand the concept of a right triangle and its sides. He advises using a compass or measuring tool to mark the length of the hypotenuse, and then use that same length to mark the base and height of the right triangle. By connecting the three points, a line of length √3 can be drawn accurately. The Old Man also emphasizes the importance of patience and precision in this process.
Edgardo
An old man gives you a set square (http://www.buchhandlung-umbach.de/pbs/geodreick.gif ) and then asks you to draw a line of exactly the length [tex] \sqrt{3} [/tex].

How would you do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In white: Draw a right triangle of lengths 1 and 2. The hypotenuse will have length [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex].

Last edited:
first you what units are we using?

second, as far as i can see there are two ways:
first you can straight away construct a 30-60-90 triangle with the hypotenuse (2) and the other leg of 1 (the one which is adjacent to the 60 degree) and then the other leg is sqrt(3).
the second approach is you build an isosceles right triangle with the legs of 1, and then on the hypotenuse you bulid another 1 leg (when the degree between sqrt(2) and the third leg is 90), and then the second hypotenuse is sqrt(3).

this was way too easy, so perhaps i totally misinterpratated your question.

@jimmy: Your length would be [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

@ Loop:
I thought about the second approach. You're right.

Next question: What was the name of the old man :biggrin:

Edgardo said:
@jimmy: Your length would be [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]
Man, talk about a blind spot! I have no explanation for what I was thinking when I wrote that.

think quite easy !

1- first you draw a squareroot of 2 by using P=1 AND b =1

then measure the length of the squareroot of 2, take it as p , and take 1 as b, then you can join the end of the these two sides.

correct !

hope so !

the word "exactly" means none of these answers are correct, nor is there any correct answer. this is impossible with drawing instruments, but only in the mind, or in the fantasy world of perfect mathematics can this be done exactly.

I figure the old man must be Pythagoras.

To get the answer “Exactly” we can’t be drawing so many lines as has been suggested.
Observing the “Square” provided by the old man we see all three sides are neatly inscribe with halfway points. Thus we shall define it as 2 units by 2 units with a H of 2*sqrt{2} units.
After inscribing an exact right angle of 1 by 2, we place a mark on the long length of exactly sqrt{2} by using the midpoint of the H side of the provided square.
Now, again only using the square provided, we see it is long enough to draw a straight line from that marked point to the end of the short line. Giving us an exact sqrt{3} .

But we will never be able to provide an exact measure of that line based on any fractional measure of the units we have selected, ie that measure is irrational.
Note: The old man would appreciate it if you kept this part a secret – he fears the idea that a number can be irrational could cause a public panic! :wink:

Last edited:

1. How do I draw a line of length √3?

To draw a line of length √3, first start by drawing a line segment of any length. Then, using a compass, draw a circle centered at one end of the line segment with a radius of the length of the line segment. Next, draw another circle centered at the other end of the line segment with a radius of √3. The point where the two circles intersect is the point where the line of length √3 should end. Draw a straight line connecting this point to the other end of the line segment, and you will have a line of length √3.

2. What is the significance of drawing a line of length √3?

Drawing a line of length √3 is significant because it is a fundamental geometric construction that has been used since ancient times. It is an important concept in mathematics and has applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and geometry.

3. Can I use a ruler instead of a compass to draw a line of length √3?

No, a ruler cannot be used to draw a line of length √3. The length of √3 is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. Therefore, it cannot be measured accurately with a ruler, which only has markings for rational numbers.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for drawing a line of length √3?

Yes, there are some shortcut methods for drawing a line of length √3. One method involves using a 30-60-90 degree triangle, where the length of the hypotenuse is equal to √3 times the length of the shorter leg. Another method is to use a protractor and draw an angle of 60 degrees, and then bisect that angle to find a point that is √3 units away from the starting point.

5. Can a line of length √3 be drawn without any tools?

Yes, it is possible to draw a line of length √3 without any tools. This method, known as the "Egyptian method," involves using only a straightedge and compass to construct a line of length √3. However, it requires a good understanding of geometric constructions and can be more time-consuming than using a ruler or protractor.