What does the liquid from the lungs look like?

• Thread starter hexhunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, the person had a shower after getting their hair cut and while rinsing off shampoo, they coughed up snot, greenish mucus, and a small amount of blood. They have been experiencing excessive mucus in their throat and nose and a sore throat. Their father suggested swabbing the nose and throat, which resulted in finding only mucus in one nostril and a red and swollen throat. The person is concerned if this could be dangerous and what symptoms they may feel if it is. The green mucous could indicate a bacterial infection and they are advised to see a doctor. They mention that the phlegm has recently been clear, but it is still recommended to see a doctor in case the infection is lingering
hexhunter
so, i was just in the shower after my mum cut my hair, and i went for my towel cos i had shampoo on my face, then all of a sudden with my eye's shut i bend over and cough out, quite easily, what i later discovered to be snot, greenish mucus, and a small amount of blood in the centre...

now recently (usually) I've had excesive amounts of mucus in my throat and the area around my nose, and a sore throat... my dad told me to swab my nostril's and the back of my throught(i hardly managed that)... there was nothing but mucus from 1 nostril, my dad also checked the back of my throat and said that it was red and swollen(or something like that)...

anyway, could anyone tell me if this could be dangerous, what colour is the mucus in the lungs and other area's? what symptom's i might feel if this is bad?

Biology news on Phys.org
sounds like you just have a sore throat, or the flu

hexhunter said:
so, i was just in the shower after my mum cut my hair, and i went for my towel cos i had shampoo on my face, then all of a sudden with my eye's shut i bend over and cough out, quite easily, what i later discovered to be snot, greenish mucus, and a small amount of blood in the centre...

now recently (usually) I've had excesive amounts of mucus in my throat and the area around my nose, and a sore throat... my dad told me to swab my nostril's and the back of my throught(i hardly managed that)... there was nothing but mucus from 1 nostril, my dad also checked the back of my throat and said that it was red and swollen(or something like that)...

anyway, could anyone tell me if this could be dangerous, what colour is the mucus in the lungs and other area's? what symptom's i might feel if this is bad?
The green mucous would indicate a bacterial infection, I suggest you go to the doctor.

'Healthy" phlegm is normally clear or white. Yellow phlegm is normally a sign of an infection. Greenish or brownish phlegm is nearly always a sign of infection.'

ok then, it's just that since then I've been mostly clear, and the phlem i cough up has been clear, so i think that it might have passed all of a sudden in the heat... well, thanks for the help...

If the phlegm is greenish or has blood in it, as mentioned, it's a good sign of infection, and that you should see a doctor pronto! Even if it has recently appeared to clear up, you should still call your doctor and explain the symptom to have them check you out. It could be that you had an infection that cleared up on its own, or it could be lingering asymptomatically (like walking pneumonia...not sure what kind of phlegm that results in, but people just don't realize they are sick until it totally knocks them down). It's always worth a call to your doctor whenever you're in doubt about something. Depending on the symptom, they could reassure you it's nothing, insist you come in immediately or go straight to an emergency room, or decide it's time to schedule an appointment at your soonest convenience for a double check (sometimes with instructions to call back if symptoms worsen before your appointment).

1. What is the color of the liquid from the lungs?

The color of the liquid from the lungs can vary depending on the underlying condition. In healthy individuals, it is usually clear or slightly yellow in color. However, in cases of infection or illness, it may appear cloudy, green, or even reddish due to the presence of blood.

2. Is the liquid from the lungs the same as mucus?

No, the liquid from the lungs is not the same as mucus. Mucus is produced by the cells lining the respiratory tract to trap dust, bacteria, and other particles, while the liquid from the lungs is a thin layer of fluid that helps lubricate and protect the lungs.

3. How does the liquid from the lungs differ from saliva?

The liquid from the lungs is different from saliva in terms of its composition and function. Saliva is produced by the salivary glands in the mouth and aids in digestion, while the liquid from the lungs is produced by the lungs and helps with breathing and protecting the respiratory system.

4. Can the liquid from the lungs be dangerous if it enters the bloodstream?

Yes, the liquid from the lungs can be dangerous if it enters the bloodstream. It may contain harmful bacteria, viruses, or other pathogens that can cause serious infections or illnesses. This is why the lungs have a complex system of defense mechanisms to prevent the entry of foreign substances into the bloodstream.

5. What causes an increase in the production of liquid from the lungs?

An increase in the production of liquid from the lungs can be caused by various factors, such as infections, allergies, smoking, or exposure to irritants. In some cases, it can also be a symptom of underlying respiratory conditions like pneumonia, bronchitis, or asthma. It is important to consult a doctor if you notice any changes in the amount or appearance of the liquid from your lungs.