Calculating molality given density and molarity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating molality for an aqueous solution of ammonium chloride, which involves using the formula weight, molarity, and density of the solution. The speaker is seeking help in understanding how to approach the problem, and the solution is provided by defining a basis and using the formula for molality. The final molality of the solution is calculated to be 2.549 m.
LakeMountD
I haven't taken chemistry in over 3 years so I have forgotten a lot of the very basic concepts (even while understanding the higher level stuff) and am having problems with this simple thing! Please help :(.

Question 1- At 20°C, a 2.32 M aqueous solution of ammonium chloride has a density of 1.0344 g/mL What is the molality of ammonium chloride in the solution? The formula weight of NH4Cl is 53.5 g/mol.

I don't think I have to use temperature here. I know how to calculate molality when I am given how many grams are in the solution but the way this one is worded I am confused. Not looking for the answer, just a little help on where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, molarity is defined as moles of solute per liters of solution and molality is defined as moles of solute per kilograms of solvent. That said, we must define a basis to work with, let's say we have 1 liter of solution, and because we know the molarity of this solution is 2.32 M, then we know there's 2.32 moles of NH4Cl in the solution. And we know 2.32 moles of NH4Cl are equal to 124.12 grams. Next, we have the density of the solution, which is defined as mass of solution per volume of solution. So, 1 liter of solution contains 1034.4 grams, of which 124.12 grams are of NH4Cl, then we have 910.28 grams of solvent. Now we can calculate the molality of the solution
[tex]\textrm{molality} = \frac{2.32 \ mol}{0.91028 \ kg \ water} = 2.549 \ m[/tex]

What is molality and how is it different from molarity?

Molality is a measure of concentration that describes the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. It is different from molarity, which is a measure of concentration that describes the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality takes into account the mass of the solvent, while molarity does not.

What is the formula for calculating molality given density and molarity?

The formula for calculating molality is: molality (m) = moles of solute (n) / mass of solvent (kg). To use density and molarity to calculate molality, you can rearrange the formula to: m = (n / M) / (d / 1000), where M is the molar mass of the solute and d is the density of the solution in g/mL.

Can molality be used to compare solutions of different densities?

Yes, molality can be used to compare solutions of different densities because it is independent of temperature and pressure, unlike molarity which is dependent on volume and therefore affected by changes in temperature and pressure.

Why is molality sometimes preferred over molarity in certain experiments?

Molality is preferred over molarity in certain experiments because it is not affected by changes in temperature and pressure, making it a more accurate measure of concentration. It is also useful when dealing with reactions that involve changes in volume, as molality takes into account the mass of the solvent instead of the volume of the solution.

What are some common units of measurement for molality?

The most common units of measurement for molality are moles of solute per kilogram of solvent (mol/kg) or grams of solute per kilogram of solvent (g/kg). However, some sources may use different units such as millimoles of solute per kilogram of solvent (mmol/kg) or milligrams of solute per kilogram of solvent (mg/kg).