Furthorc Language: Anglo Saxon Usage in England

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the Anglo-Saxon, Furthorc is used for inscription in england from about the 5th century, Furthorc it seems is not a spoken language more an intermediate form of communication. Futhorks had separate letters for hard ("thorn", as in thing) and soft ("edh", as in mother) th sounds, which made it more phonetic in that regard than the present English alphabet. Futhork survived into the middle ages after the other futhorks had been forgotten, and Ye was understood to be pronounced "the" (note the loss of the soft-hard distinction), but in later times even this was forgotten and the word is now pronounced with the
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The Anglo Saxon, Furthorc is used for inscription in england from about the
5th century, Furthorc it seems is not a spoken language more an intermediate
form of communication.
I am lost as to why it came into being, were the people that used it a sub
branch or backward group some how separate from all others ?

Science news on Phys.org
Futhork is an alphabet, not a language. It is what is commonly described as a "runic" alphabet, which does not mean anything mystical. The name comes from the first few letters of it, just as "alphabet" does. At this time ( < +500), the Futhorks were a better representation of early English speech than the Roman alphabet, the other choice. Futhorks had separate letters for hard ("thorn", as in thing) and soft ("edh", as in mother) th sounds, which made it more phonetic in that regard than the present English alphabet.

Thorn and edh survived into the middle ages after the other futhorks had been forgotten. The "Ye" of "Ye Olde Shoppe" is a late representation of thorn, which looked like a vertical stroke sprouting a hook on one side. Ye was understood to be pronounced "the" (note the loss of the soft-hard distinction), but in later times even this was forgotten and the word is now pronounced with the modern consonantal value of Y.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes, futhark. I was distracted by the OP's spelling.

selfAdjoint said:
Thorn and edh survived into the middle ages after the other futhorks had been forgotten.

They still survive in Icelandic and Faeroese, having been adapted into the Latin alphabet used by those languages. I wonder if they'll show up if I enter them here from Mac OS X... thorn þ Þ edh ð Ð

[previews...] Well, I see them, anyway! :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
This aspect of humanity is profoundly amazing. :cool: :smile:

With enough observation, reading (or at least figuring out the enunciation) of old english is a fairly interesting matter. I remember seeing a picture from Beowulf (original manuscript) and I was able to make out a few words, Hrothgar, fire (I think it was fyre), fate (wyrd), and others. The other words didn't make too much sense when said aloud, but I managed to figure out enough of the alphabet to know that it was Beowulf that I was looking at.

http://www.engl.virginia.edu/OE/courses/handouts/oealpha.html

Linguistic anthropology is definitely a most interesting subject... even if a lot of it is salvage anthropology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, both the Futhark and the Futhork exist. The Futhark is the nordic version of the runes, and the Futhork is the version the Anglo-Saxons used, which judging by the OPs posts in this forum, is what the OP is interested in. Sorry to dig up old threads, didn't know this forum existed! Looks kinda fun around here.

Lonewolf said:
Just for the record, both the Futhark and the Futhork exist. The Futhark is the nordic version of the runes, and the Futhork is the version the Anglo-Saxons used, which judging by the OPs posts in this forum, is what the OP is interested in. Sorry to dig up old threads, didn't know this forum existed! Looks kinda fun around here.

Nice to hear from you, Lonewolf, there are a few that post here, my interest
is mainly post roman up to 1600s England, but i do love most history topics.

What is Furthorc Language?

Furthorc Language, also known as Anglo Saxon, is an ancient Germanic language that was spoken in England during the period of the Anglo-Saxon settlement (5th-12th century). It is the ancestor of modern English and has influenced the development of the English language.

Why is it called Furthorc?

Furthorc is the name given to the runic alphabet used to write the Furthorc Language. It is derived from the first six letters of the runic alphabet: F, U, R, T, H, and O. The term "Furthorc" was coined by scholars in the 19th century and is a combination of the Old English words "fuþorc" and "rune", meaning "alphabet of runes".

How was Furthorc Language used in England?

Furthorc Language was the main language spoken in England during the Anglo-Saxon period. It was used in everyday communication, as well as in literature, legal documents, and religious texts. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, the use of Furthorc declined and was eventually replaced by Middle English.

What are some key features of Furthorc Language?

Furthorc Language is a highly inflected language, meaning that word endings change to show their grammatical function. It also has a complex system of noun and verb declensions, and uses three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter. In addition, it has a rich vocabulary and a number of loanwords from other languages.

Is Furthorc Language still used today?

No, Furthorc Language is considered an extinct language and is not used in modern times. However, some words and phrases from Furthorc have survived in modern English, such as "thou" and "ye". It is also studied by linguists and scholars as an important part of the history and development of the English language.