Is e^x the Optimal Integrating Factor for Solving Differential Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integrating factor for the equation sinydx+cosydy=0. The participants suggest different methods, including using the equation's separability and multiplying by 1/siny or e^x to make it exact. Ultimately, it is concluded that 1/siny is the most obvious integrating factor and the question simply asks to prove that ex is an integrating factor. The participants thank each other for their insights and suggestions.
asdf1
for the question, siny+cosydy=0, i want to find an integrating factor.
my work:
(1/F)(dF/dx)=(1/cosy)(cosy+siny)=1+tany
=>lny=x +xtany +c`
=> y =ce^(x+xtany)
however, the question wants the integrating factor to be e^x...
why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I assume you mean sinydx+ cosydy= 0? Without a dx in there, it doesn't make sense. If that's the case, then an obvious integrating factor is 1/siny since multiplying through by that gives dx+ (cosx/sinx)dy= 0 which is clearly exact.

I don't know what you mean by "the question wants the integrating factor to be e^x"!
I wasn't aware that questions wanted anything!

Isn't that equation seperable?

opps! I'm sorry for the mistype! :P
you're right, it's "sinydx+ cosydy= 0"
that question wanted to prove that the integrating factor is e^x, but the integrating factor that i found was y =ce^(x+xtany)...

so you want an integrating factor u such that
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}u\sin(y)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}u\cos(y)[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\sin(y)+u\cos(y)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\cos(y)[/tex]
integrating factors are not unique so assume
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0[/tex]

If the problem says "show that ex is an integrating factor", thenyou don't have to find the integrating factor yourself (as lurflurf said, integrating factors are not unique), just multiply the equation by ex and see if the result is exact.

If you got ce^(x+xtany) as an integrating factor, you sure like doing things the hard way! As I said earlier, 1/sin y is an obvious integrating factor (because, as Corneo said, the equation is separable. Multiplying by
1/sin y "separates" it)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...
i didn't think of that...
thank you very much! :)

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a differential equation to make it easier to solve.

2. How do I know when to use an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is typically used when solving first-order linear differential equations, where the equation is in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x). If the equation is not in this form, it may need to be rearranged or manipulated before an integrating factor can be applied.

3. What does the integrating factor actually do?

The integrating factor helps to "integrate" the non-exact differential equation, making it easier to solve. It essentially converts the equation into an exact form, where the solution can be found by finding the antiderivative.

4. Can any function be used as an integrating factor?

No, only certain functions can be used as integrating factors. The function must satisfy a specific condition known as the "integrating factor condition," which is that the derivative of the integrating factor must equal the original coefficient of the y term in the differential equation.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the integrating factor?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the integrating factor for a given differential equation. It involves finding the integrating factor condition and then solving for the integrating factor function. There are also certain common functions that are used as integrating factors in different situations, such as e^(∫P(x)dx) for first-order linear equations.