Solving Lagrangian Problem: Find Lagrange's Eqns & Steps

• Thread starter FluxCapacitator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, a spring of rest length L_0 (no tension) is connected to a support at one end and has a mass M attached to the other. The mass of the spring, the dimension of mass M, and the motion are all ignored. Lagrange's equations are solved for small stretching and angular displacements. The key point of confusion is whether or not resolving the Lagrangian into components is a valid method to solve a problem. One way to resolve the problem is to identify the configuration space variables and use r, theta, and phi to solve for the Euler-Lagrange equation.
FluxCapacitator
A spring of rest length [tex]L_0[/tex] (no tension) is connected to a support at one end and has a mass M attached to the other. Neglect the mass of the spring, the dimension of mass M, and assume that the motion is confined to the vertical direction, and that the spring stretches without bending but can swing in the plane.
Find Lagrange's equations and solve them for small stretching and angular displacements.
I'm having trouble just mathematically expressing the kinetic energy and potential functions in an easily solvable form.
So far I have [tex]T= mv^{2}/2[/tex] and [tex]V=mgy+kl^{2}/2[/tex], where l is the displacement of the string.
At this point I'll confess that I'm trying to learn this by myself, and I could have missed some important concepts in how exactly to solve the equations in the right form.
One key point of confusion I have is whether or not resolving the Lagrangian into components is a valid method to solve a problem. If so, it would probably be easier to solve. If not, I suppose that I'd have to use trigonometry to try to get everything into agreeable terms and then solve.
I suppose what I'm asking for is someone to discuss how to solve the problem step by step sot that I could understand how to do this once and for all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FluxCapacitator said:
A spring of rest length [tex]L_0[/tex] (no tension) is connected to a support at one end and has a mass M attached to the other. Neglect the mass of the spring, the dimension of mass M, and assume that the motion is confined to the vertical direction, and that the spring stretches without bending but can swing in the plane.
Find Lagrange's equations and solve them for small stretching and angular displacements.
I'm having trouble just mathematically expressing the kinetic energy and potential functions in an easily solvable form.
So far I have [tex]T= mv^{2}/2[/tex] and [tex]V=mgy+kl^{2}/2[/tex], where l is the displacement of the string.
This looks correct ; you now have to write L = T - V
One key point of confusion I have is whether or not resolving the Lagrangian into components is a valid method to solve a problem.
You cannot "resolve the Lagrangian in components" because it is a scalar quantity, and not a vector !
But you should identify the configuration space variables: I'd say that here, they are x and y. Once you've expressed the lagrangian completely as a function of the configuration space variables and their first time derivatives (v!), you can write down the Euler-Lagrange equation for each configuration space variable (here, there are 2 of them because you have 2 variables x and y).

Thanks, then I was doing the right thing, but this problem is just a little geometrically involved, so it looked more confusing that it perhaps really was.

Am I missing some constraint? I see 3 variables.
I'd try to use r, theta, and phi for this;
so modes of spring and pendulums (regular and conical)
have only one variable and two parameters.

lightgrav said:
Am I missing some constraint? I see 3 variables.
I'd try to use r, theta, and phi for this;
so modes of spring and pendulums (regular and conical)
have only one variable and two parameters.

Maybe I misunderstood the problem description: I made up of it that the motion was confined in a vertical plane...

1. What is a Lagrangian problem?

A Lagrangian problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the equations of motion for a system governed by a set of constraints. It is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who developed a method for solving these types of problems.

2. What are Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of a system with constraints. They are derived from the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that represents the total energy of the system.

3. What are the steps for solving a Lagrangian problem?

The steps for solving a Lagrangian problem are as follows:

1. Identify all the constraints on the system.
  2. Write the Lagrangian, which is a function that represents the total energy of the system.
  3. Apply Lagrange's equations to the Lagrangian to obtain a set of differential equations.
  4. Solve the differential equations to find the equations of motion for the system.
  5. Apply any initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution for the system.

4. What types of problems can be solved using Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including those involving classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is often used in problems where there are constraints on the motion of a system, such as in mechanics of rigid bodies or celestial mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to model the motion of particles in fields such as fluid mechanics, acoustics, and optics. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as robots and vehicles. In astronomy, Lagrangian mechanics is used to study the motion of celestial bodies and to predict their orbits.