Calculating Radioactive Decay: Estimating Age of Ancient City

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the destruction of an ancient city and the use of carbon-14 dating to determine the approximate time of destruction. The conversation included calculations using the decay constant and initial activity of carbon-14 in charcoal to arrive at an estimated time of 11,088 years. There was also a discussion about units and the source of the initial activity value.
ussrasu
Q: A 50-g chunk of charcoal is found in the buried remains of an ancient city destroyed by invaders. The carbon-14 activity of the sample is 200 decays/min. Roughly when was the city destroyed?

A: I used R = Ro*e^(-lambda*t) and t1/2 = ln2/lambda

t1/2 = 3.834*10^-12 s-1

and 200 decays/min = 3.33 decays/sec or 3.33 Bq

What is the initial acitivity/kg (Ro)?
The final acitivty/kg = 3.33 Bq/0.05 Kg = 66.66 Bq/Kg

Therefore R/Ro = 66.66/255

I then found the time to be 11 088 years

Can someone please check over this and see if this looks correct and advise of any corrections?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the numbers (for instance, is the initial activity of C-14 255 Bq/kg ?) but the approach seems totally correct.

cheers,
Patrick.

What half-life of C-14 is used?

Be careful with units. t1/2 should have units of time.

1 Bq = 1 decay/s is correct.

The decay constant [itex]\lambda[/itex] = ln 2 / t1/2, and customarily it is often expressed as s-1, but it should be compatible with whatever units (s, hr, days) are used for time, t.

I calculate a decay constant of 3.9455E-12 s-1.

Activity A(t) = Ao exp(-[itex]\lambda[/itex]t)

So inital activity is A(t) exp ([itex]\lambda[/itex]t).

So to solve the problem, one needs to know the normal specific activity for C-14 in charcoal. Where did 255 Bq/kg originate?

255/66.66 = 3.825 half-lives.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli2.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli.html

Useful calculator - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/raddec.html#c1

In the textbook in a previous example - it says that the C-14 activity in a living tree is 255 Bq - that is where i got that value from but i wasnt sure if i could use that value in this question - ie is it always 255 Bq in living trees?!?

The half-life is in s^-1 - therefore the answer would be in seconds and i just converted it back to years in the answer.

Thanks

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, ultimately resulting in the transformation of one element into another.

How does radioactive decay help in estimating the age of an ancient city?

Radioactive decay is used to estimate the age of an ancient city by measuring the amount of radioactive isotopes present in certain materials found in the city. By comparing the ratio of radioactive isotopes to their stable counterparts, scientists can determine how much time has passed since the materials were formed.

What are the limitations of using radioactive decay to estimate the age of an ancient city?

One limitation of using radioactive decay is that it can only provide accurate estimates for materials that contain radioactive isotopes. Additionally, external factors such as contamination or environmental changes can affect the accuracy of the results.

What is the half-life of a radioactive isotope and how is it used in calculating radioactive decay?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of the isotope to decay into a stable form. This is used in calculating radioactive decay because it allows scientists to determine the amount of time that has passed since the material was formed based on the amount of radioactive isotope remaining.

How can the accuracy of radioactive decay calculations be improved?

The accuracy of radioactive decay calculations can be improved by using multiple methods of dating and cross-checking the results. Additionally, using a variety of materials and testing them in different ways can also help improve accuracy.