Small Oscillations: Spring Constant & Frequency

In summary, for small oscillations, the oscillation behaves like a spring and the effective spring constant can be found using the second derivative of the potential energy function. The frequency w is equal to sqrt(k/m), where k is the second derivative of the potential energy function. However, this formula does not work for all cases, such as a pendulum. To get the correct formula, the moment of inertia I = ml^2 must be used instead of mass m. This is because the formula is dependent on the type of displacement used.
asdf60
For small oscillations, the oscillation behaves like a spring, because the potential energy function can be approximated by a parabola at the equilibrium point. Now, the effective spring constant in these situations is equal to the second derivative of the potential energy function, and so the frequency w = sqrt(k/m), where k is the second derivative of the potential energy function.

I'm confused by this. In particular, I don't understand when this actually works. For example, for a pendulum, the potential energy function is U(t) = mgL(1-cos(t)), where t is theta. In this case the effective spring constant is mgL, so w = sqrt(gL). Obviously this doesn't agree with the accepted formula (which is also for small angles only). So what's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, it occurs to me now that if insead of m, i use the moment of inertia I = ml^2, i get the right formula. Is this a coincidence?

Yes, if you write it as a function of x, horizontal displacement, rather than theta, it comes out all right.

1. What is a small oscillation?

A small oscillation refers to a repetitive back and forth motion that occurs around a stable equilibrium point. It is characterized by a small amplitude and a linear restoring force, such as that of a spring or pendulum.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is defined as the ratio of the force applied to the displacement produced by the spring, and is typically denoted by the symbol k.

3. How is the spring constant related to frequency?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the frequency of a small oscillation. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency also increases. This relationship is described by the equation f = 1/(2*pi)*sqrt(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

4. How does changing the mass affect the frequency of a small oscillation?

Changing the mass attached to a spring will affect the frequency of a small oscillation. As the mass increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This is because the larger the mass, the more inertia it has and the harder it is to move, resulting in a slower oscillation.

5. How can the frequency of a small oscillation be measured?

The frequency of a small oscillation can be measured using different methods, such as timing the number of oscillations in a certain time period or using an instrument like a pendulum or a spring-mass system. The frequency can also be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2*pi)*sqrt(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass.