What are the default fonts in Firefox and how do I find them?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the conversation was about someone who accidentally changed their font settings and needed help to find the default settings. They shared an image of the font options and discussed which fonts worked best. They also mentioned customizing Firefox and finding a solution for the font size appearing too large.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
whoops, I played around with the fonts a bit and forgot what the default settings were so now my webpages look weird. Could someone look what's under 'Tools-Options-Fonts'?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Font: Times New Roman
Size: 16

Ohh, it seems to be a bit more complicated. Here is an image

http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/2215/firefoxfonts8dv.png

Proportional: Serif
Serif: Times New Roman
Sans-Serif: Arial
Monospace: Courier New

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.. times new roman looks weird, but those settings w/ verdana seems to work.. thanks :)

You know I thought Times New Roman was strange to have too. I think Verdana may be the standard. I am using firefox 1.5 beta, so that may be why I am using Times.

Oh, cool! I'm glad you asked Monique! I've been trying to set up Firefox to my liking in the lab...even if I have to put up with XP on the lab computer, I'm not going to put up with IE. I got a lot of it customized to my satisfaction, but the fonts looked all huge and stretched out and just generally harsh on my eyes, but I hadn't yet found where to change that (I don't need to read the page from the other side of the room). Now I know. Yippee!

Yeah, I had the same problem that the fonts at a site looked huge so that's why I was fiddling around with it :smile: I changed the size 16 to 13 so everything looks uniform now.

1. What are default fonts in firefox?

Default fonts in firefox refer to the font styles that are automatically set as the default for text on web pages viewed in the Firefox browser. These fonts are used when a web page does not specify a particular font to be used for its text.

2. How can I change the default fonts in firefox?

To change the default fonts in firefox, you can go to the browser's settings and select the "Fonts & Colors" option. From there, you can customize the font type, size, and color for various elements such as the default font for web pages, headings, and monospace text.

3. What are the default fonts in firefox for different operating systems?

The default fonts in firefox may vary depending on the operating system. For Windows, the default fonts are Times New Roman for serif, Arial for sans-serif, and Courier New for monospace. For Mac OS, the default fonts are Times for serif, Helvetica for sans-serif, and Courier for monospace.

4. Can I add new fonts to the default font list in firefox?

Yes, you can add new fonts to the default font list in firefox. You can download and install new fonts on your operating system, and they will automatically appear in the font list in Firefox. You can also use web fonts by adding the @font-face rule in the CSS code of your web page.

5. Why is it important to choose the right default fonts in firefox?

The right default fonts in firefox can greatly impact the readability and aesthetics of web pages. Choosing fonts that are legible and visually appealing can enhance the user experience and make the content more engaging. It is also essential to choose fonts that are widely available on different operating systems to ensure consistency across devices.