Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
i want to be an engineer.In your view which is the best one computer engineering or aeronautics engineering regarding its future and income?I live in nepal so which is the best field for me?.

Physics news on Phys.org
||spoon|| said:
Hey all (again),

i posted before in the middle of another deep convo before i suppose and didnt get an answer.. so I am havin a nother shot at it lol :tongue2:

I am an australian year 12 student (not sure of the us equivelant) who is not sure about becoming an aeronautical engineer, physicist or a physics lecturer at a university standard.

My strong points and passions are for both Maths and Physics (obviously) but I am not sure which to go for:

I like the idea of an engineer because you incorporate both maths and physics. I would probably want to go for aerospace engineering mainly because i would prefer to use that type of math and physics (fluid and thermodyanmics etc) not because i have a pssion for planes. (is that bad?)
and of course inevitably because the salary is better lol.

On the other hand however, i am really intrigued by physics which makes me want to learn as much as i can about it because it is so awesome(i mean to a masters or PhD). I love coming across new ideas and equations and theories in my school books. But then i am unsure what kind of job i would be able to fetch with this degree... i think i would like to teach physics at a higher level.. But then i am not too sure what an actual Physicist does as a job on a day to day level.

There is a double degree at the university of melbourne where you receive a bachelor of engineering and a bachelor of science, and i was thinking about going for that and making my mind up at the end of it. Then I realized that they don't teach any aerospace engineering in the course, or the uni for that matter.

This has been bugging me for quite a while now and i would love to hear from anyone with some advice or even a personal experience of the same type.

Thanks a lot guys

-Spoon

Where abouts in Australia are you?
I'm doing BE/BSc in Western Australia in physics & maths, and mech eng. But I will transfer to either RMIT or Uni Sydney to do Aerospace.
I believe the Aero program is better at RMIT.

I would pick for computer engineering because it has a way broader scope than aeronautical engineering. Engineering is a field to go for if you are really interested in it.. "DON'T PICK IT BY LOOKING AT THE FUTURE INCOME ONLY".
It is a Profession with GREAT responsibility. SO.. first make sure if the things in engineering Interest you or not. :)

Hey,

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, its been a good read. I am a Yr 11 Australian student who is really good at maths. In fact, this year I'm doing first year maths at University. I'm not sure about my physics ability since this is my first year doing it. However I doubt it is anywhere near as good as my maths. I'm not into practicals that much (not good at it either) and don't like it as much as theory.
Would I be able to improve practical skills at university if I work hard enough?
Would I be a good engineer? Because I am thinking of doing a double degree with engineering and science. Also what engineering courses have the most maths?

Thanks

The problem with Engineering is that generally:

"Engineers are overworked, overstressed & disproportionately underpaid for their level of responsibility. In other words - Engineers don't make money".

Many times, Engineers are paid scapegoats who assume the legal responsibility for a company, at lowish pay, while the bosses make the money. When things go wrong, the engineers take the fall.

I am an Consulting Engineer of long standing & would actively advise folks to think many times before entering the profession.

desA, although I am just 2nd year EE student you scared me and for the moment I questioned myself; Oh God should I continue in my studies for an Engineer.

Never regretted choosing it

Hello, i am a freshman and i am still thinking about which dept. to take.

i think engineering is hard, and needs a lot of work, but at the same time, it is the most enjoyable thing that you can ever study and research in its amazing fields.

making the decision about going for my dream and become an engineer was one of the most difficult decisions i have ever made in my life, but never once looked back and wished if i have chosen differently.

you will find calculus the most annoying subject in terms of exams, but the most enjoyable one in terms of meaning and studying.

I LOVE ENGINEERING

i want to know if my BAC from any university in Egypt will be accepted by other faculties in USA and Germany?

desA said:

"Engineers are overworked, overstressed & disproportionately underpaid for their level of responsibility. In other words - Engineers don't make money".

Many times, Engineers are paid scapegoats who assume the legal responsibility for a company, at lowish pay, while the bosses make the money. When things go wrong, the engineers take the fall.

I am an Consulting Engineer of long standing & would actively advise folks to think many times before entering the profession.

Hmm, I do not agree with this. Engineers are paid well when they start out, and continue to be paid well when they become more experienced. I agree that engineers are paid too low for the amount of work they do compared to some other professions, but you will be living very comfortably as an engineer.

As for the scapegoat thing, well, that's not true either. There are so many checks in place and testing phases precisely to ensure things do not go wrong. That's why there are different levels of engineers. That's why we have test engineers. After that, if something DOES go wrong, who should get in "trouble"? The managers, accountants, or secretaries? No, of course not. Of course it sucks to say that, but why should anyone else get in trouble if something an engineer worked on fails?

That's why it's important for companies to hire competent engineers!

desA said:

Utter,utter, nonsense. Engineers are among the highest paid professionals out of college and are good candidates for upper management with acquired experience. Everyone feels like a scapegoat at one time or another.

Hi,

I'm currently a physics major about to finish his lower-division work and transferring from a community college to either UCI or UCLA. I've been thinking recently about a double major in engineering, in mechanical or aerospace or aeronautical. I'm not sure about UCI, but UCLA will only let you double major in engineering if you declare it in your first semester after transferring. The reason why I'm thinking about the switch is that there are far more jobs in engineering and that I realized that I like engineering much more than I thought before. But I still also like physics. I figure I can probably do well in either field, as long as neither one requires too much people skills, as I tend to lack those.

Would double majoring be a good idea? Or would a double major in applied physics and applied math be better? Or, if I major in physics, but then change my mind and want to go to engineering grad school, would that be a good idea?

Also, not sure if this means anything, but I tend to have very poor lab skills. I will tend to miss something very important the professor says and sometimes even lack common sense. For example, yesterday in my chemistry class, my professor said that we were to do part B and C of an experiment before part A, but I was the only one to do A then B then C, until towards the end of class my professor asked the whole class if everyone was done with C, and I was the only one to speak up because I did the order all wrong. The previous week, in the same class, as everyone left the lab, I stayed trying to finish a lab assignment. When I was about to turn it in, my professor said that it wasn't due that day, which was why everyone had left. I was the only one who didn't hear the instructions.

I'd appreciate any advice!

Last edited:
Robots.

I'm a very mathematical thinker and although I haven't started my physics course yet, I pretty much "see" in math. Everything I do I try to analyze like it is an equation or something.

What I really want to do is make robots. I know it sounds like a very juvenile thing to say but that's simply what I want to do. I really want to work on projects like the http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=402" and automated systems. I also really would like to contribute to bringing the "future" like things you saw in I, Robot to a reality.

I assume it would just be "robotics engineering" but I may be wrong. So whoever knows, thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
~electric~ said:
I would pick for computer engineering because it has a way broader scope than aeronautical engineering. Engineering is a field to go for if you are really interested in it.. "DON'T PICK IT BY LOOKING AT THE FUTURE INCOME ONLY".
It is a Profession with GREAT responsibility. SO.. first make sure if the things in engineering Interest you or not. :)
Computer engineering has a "way broader scope" than AE ?? You must really not know much about AE then. AE is a VERY broad field, probably more than any other engineering filed. AE engineers deal with most types of machines, most types of structures, most types of electrical devices, chemistry, physics, astronomy, systems engineering and yes - a LOT of computers too. Computers, as far as I know are just all about, well.. computers. :wink:

That of course is not to say that I advise either - choose what you like and better get some idea about what engineering is about in general before you commit yourself to study long and hard and work long and hard, because that's what most engineers do. Engineering is among the top standard proffesions, that is proffesions which people can acquire and get a reasonably good pay in most cases without a lot of luck, but it doesn't come easy like those rare, easier, high paying but hard to get proffesions. So if it interests you first, or if at least you want a sure bet second, then engineering may fit you.

So what's the reasoning for sticking through Computer or Electrical engineering here? One is heavily based on programming, hrs of coding in front of a monitor while the other involves tedious and yet endless amounts of maths, assignments that never make any sense - even after you're done.

I'm keen on peoples thoughts here ... as I'll be finishing in both degrees this year.

*excuse the arrogance*

Hi all,
I'm thinking of changing majors from Physics to Computer Engineering.
Mainly because I really have a passion for computers. I'm really fascinated by computer processor, motherboards, all the parts of a computer. I'd love to learn how they work and how they are improved every 18 months or so. I can totally see myself working for a company such as Intel or AMD in a R&D team creating the next greatest microarchitechtrue.

Computer Engineering from what I've read at my school's catalog. Seems to be a nice blend of Physics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Math. Is this true?

I've read a lot about engineering being a lot of hard work.
Is it mainly group-projects, reports, or homework problems?

Physics and engineering are the two fields I'm looking at for a career. I haven't quite decided yet, but I think Physics is more likely for me.

why not do a double degree - as long as there's no financial constraints - a physics and engineering combined degree yells hire me on your resume.

Structural/civil/mechanical engineering + physics would do nicely.

Someone said very early on in this thread that engineering used sciences and maths as tools which is what distinguished it from doing sciences and maths.

I have found this to be an important distinction. I started off doing an aerospace engineering and science (physics) double degree only to drop the engineering cause i found, i was more interested in how the "tools" work and behaved (science) rather than how to just use them (engineering) - (maybe that was an over simplification. sorry if i have offended anyone)

Though, i don't regret starting off in engineering. otherwise i wouldn't have found that out about myself...

I have a question about the GRE for engineers... Obviously they take the general exam, but do they also take the GRE Physics exam?

Not 100% sure about this but:

Engineers take this exam in their senior year called "Fundamentals of Engineering" (FE for short). I believe that would be comparable to the GRE Subject exam.

Im studying engineering right now...I chose the electrical major for my love of physics...

I can't deny I actually wanted to study physics, but was too afraid from the career issue, so I had to choose something which combines between the love of my life (physics) and an interesting career..

After thinking, I really love engineering, it's very interesting by means of subjects and research topics...And sometimes, I feel like engineers are much smarter than physicists :p...no really, we do use what they get for usefull purposes..

I do love engineering, although it's very tough, and requires high mathimatical skills...

So if you :
1- Have good mathimatical skills
2- Have passion for knowing more
3- Believe there is nothing you can't do
4- Believe you own this planet, and you use it for what you want to do

Then you are just close to be a very successfull engineer...just go for it dude!

trickae said:
why not do a double degree - as long as there's no financial constraints - a physics and engineering combined degree yells hire me on your resume.

Structural/civil/mechanical engineering + physics would do nicely.
Thats my dream coming true:
Electrical engineering + physics = my happy ending!

I'm actually planning to do this...I have a plan to study physics after finishing engineering...Although I still doubt whether this will be applicable or not, because as an engineer, you become busy like 24/7!

But I really want this to happen!

jesuslovesu said:
I have a question about the GRE for engineers... Obviously they take the general exam, but do they also take the GRE Physics exam?
I took the GRE's in Math and Physics prior to grad school. I was doing BS in Nuclear Engineering (NE) at the time, and I was looking at MS/PhD in NE or Physics, and went with the NE program. I then did the FE during the first year of MS, since I hadn't got around to it as a undergrad. It was a piece of cake, and somewhat like an SAT/GRE test.

I like to draw and automobiles, what type of engineering suits best for me?

I would guess mechanical.

physics major considering engineering

I am a undergrad junior pursing a physics BS, but I'm really considering transitioning to engineering (5 years to get a physics PHD sounds like too much school :bugeye:). Is this possible? If so, which field would be good? I'm interested in computer engineering and EE, maybe semiconductors

I'm currently in my last year of high school (last month actually) and have enrolled in Electrical Engineering next year. I like math but dislike physics because there are so many different theories, so I'm a bit confused about what I want to do.

I like computer science and love programming so I orignally wanted to go into that, but I heard that there's a lot of competition and companies are starting to use people from India.

I also like engineering and have always wanted to become an electrical engineer (when I was younger I thought all engineering was electrical), and engineering (as an occupation) sounds much more interesting than programming all day.

But there's one thing I'm really worried about. Will there be demand for electrical engineers (in North America) by the time I graduate (4-5 years)? Loads of people are going into engineering, many into electrical/computer, and then I hear that companies are starting to hire Indians. I know one guy who did electrical and couldn't find a job for 4 years. My uni offers a co-op program but will that be enough?

The India thing really pisses me off. All the things I want to do are being outsourced to these people and I have to constantly worry about being able to find a job once I graduate. If I find that there isn't enough demand I'm going to have to get some art degree :eek: and some cpsc and try to get into the video game industry.

Last edited:
reply.

oroboro said:
I'm currently in my last year of high school (last month actually) and have enrolled in Electrical Engineering next year. I like math but dislike physics because there are so many different theories, so I'm a bit confused about what I want to do.

I like computer science and love programming so I orignally wanted to go into that, but I heard that there's a lot of competition and companies are starting to use people from India.

I also like engineering and have always wanted to become an electrical engineer (when I was younger I thought all engineering was electrical), and engineering (as an occupation) sounds much more interesting than programming all day.

But there's one thing I'm really worried about. Will there be demand for electrical engineers (in North America) by the time I graduate (4-5 years)? Loads of people are going into engineering, many into electrical/computer, and then I hear that companies are starting to hire Indians. I know one guy who did electrical and couldn't find a job for 4 years. My uni offers a co-op program but will that be enough?

The India thing really pisses me off. All the things I want to do are being outsourced to these people and I have to constantly worry about being able to find a job once I graduate. If I find that there isn't enough demand I'm going to have to get some art degree :eek: and some cpsc and try to get into the video game industry.

Oroboro, first i'd like to start off with "shove it". I'm indian, and I find your comments offensive. "these people" is a horrible, and very condescending way to refer to any group of people. [By the way, I was born and raised in Chicago, so again I say, "shove it"]. Outsourcing in no way will effect the entry level job you might get at an electrical engineering firm.

If you dislike physics, then you're not going to enjoy engineering. In your first two years you will take a semester of chemistry, and two semesters of physics. It's a general engineering requirement. Afterwards you will use less physics, but understand that majority of physical and thermal system responses can be represented in electrical circuits. Hence why electrical engineers must know about things beyond resistors, capacitors, and inductors. To be of any use in a real world application, they must be able to apply their electrical knowledge using physics.

In 4 to 5 years the market for electrical engineers will be the same as it is today. I'd argue with anyone here that the demand hasn't increased or decreased for engineers in the US. In fact it may have become a little easier for US engineers to get jobs in the US. The current state of international affairs has significantly cut international students emigrating in the US to study for masters degrees, and future employment.

Computer science has many branches. It is a lot more than sitting in front of a computer and programming all day. Take a look into human interface design. That concentration is maybe 10% programming, and 90% people time, and conducting field research.

As far as learning different theories, and not liking it. "Tough luck." In engineering when someone comes up with a new idea, it gets named after them. Watts, Joules, Devenit-Hartenberg, Ohm, Brownian motion, Planck, Navier-Stokes, Carnot, so on, and on. And when you're in class, your professors, and even research you read or conduct, will not say "refer to equation 3.6", it will be "refer to Planck's equation", or substitute any other name. Physics is just a mathematical description of the universe. Engineering is taking those mathematical descriptions, and actually doing something useful.

Never cut yourself, or anyone else short, for things are out of your, or their control. Locality, and birth are out of immediate control.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and I'm currently working on a M.S. I work in the Ethanol industry. It's a very small and specialized field, but I was persistent and I found work doing what I want to do. If you graduate, and you want to work, you'll find a job.

batman394 said:
Oroboro, first i'd like to start off with "shove it". I'm indian, and I find your comments offensive. "these people" is a horrible, and very condescending way to refer to any group of people. [By the way, I was born and raised in Chicago, so again I say, "shove it"]. Outsourcing in no way will effect the entry level job you might get at an electrical engineering firm.
I'm extremely sorry about referring to them that way and did not mean to be offensive in any way. I am in fact of Indian origin myself. Very ashamed. When I said "these people" I wasn't trying to use it to be derogatory, but to refer to them as "foreign". I'm very sorry that you found it offensive.

Thanks for the reply, now I can go into EE without worrying too much. About the theory thing though, I just don't like how all these theories keep getting replaced, almost like Physics is something really unstable, and I don't like unstable things. I'm sure though, that as long as I don't go for a Physics degree, that I'll be fine.

I think I'll go for a major in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Computer Science.

Thanks again

Engineering is a lot of theories. If you don't like theories, get a business degree.

I'm in my last year of undergrad, getting a BS in physics. I want to take one more math course that applies to engineering. What should i take? Linear algerbra? Stats? numerical analysis? there are so many

depends what you want to do when you graduate... we mechanical engineers are required to take engineering statistics... we do not (i repeat do not) have to take linear algebra. we also take a numerical analysis class based in matlab.

now.. if you plan on going into any field that deals with production, or repetitive processes.. i recommend a calculus based statistics classes... robotocs/machinery -> linear algebra.

Hey guys,

It's funny that I should stumble across a thread like this. I ran across these forums a few days ago while searching for some physics information, but I had no idea that they could help me solve this dilemma that I've been facing for a few months now :smile:

As a background, I, since a very early age, have been interested in the 'why' and 'how' of things. I know, I know - cliche as hell, but true. I guess the fact that I searched out a physics forums is some indication of that :smile: Today the questions of physics particularly intrigue me - the why and how of everything that exists.

As I understand it, a scientist deals only with these questions. A scientist pursues knowledge for the sake of knowledge alone. While this is intriguing to me, and I certainly enjoy knowledge for its own sake, I think that engineering - which I understand to be the application of knowledge - is closer to my cup of tea.

Ultimately, I'm wondering a few things.

1) Is my view of engineering correct? As opposed to pure science, which is the discovery of knowledge for its own sake, engineering is the application of knowledge to some practical purpose. Is that view correct?

2) If so, does an understanding of engineering give a truly fundamental understanding of the science behind it? For example, does a typical electrical engineer (forgive me if this choice of example is poor; I'm not 100% positive what each type of engineer does yet) understand the intricacies of, say, particle physics? My gut tells me this isn't the case, since that seems to be more the realm of the pure physicist.

3) I know I'll probably get crucified for this one, but what are the financial prospects for engineers? I've read that engineers make some of the best salaries straight out of college. How does this translate into later financial opportunities? Is a path from engineering into, say, management of an engineering firm a common path? Something like this would interest me if such opportunities are available.

I know this is sort of a long post, and I hope that I haven't simply reiterated what's already been said. I began to skim through the posts in this thread, but many were years old and, to be honest, my eyes began to bug out after page 13 or so =P

Thanks for any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ariste said:
Hey guys,

It's funny that I should stumble across a thread like this. I ran across these forums a few days ago while searching for some physics information, but I had no idea that they could help me solve this dilemma that I've been facing for a few months now :smile:

As a background, I, since a very early age, have been interested in the 'why' and 'how' of things. I know, I know - cliche as hell, but true. I guess the fact that I searched out a physics forums is some indication of that :smile: Today the questions of physics particularly intrigue me - the why and how of everything that exists.

As I understand it, a scientist deals only with these questions. A scientist pursues knowledge for the sake of knowledge alone. While this is intriguing to me, and I certainly enjoy knowledge for its own sake, I think that engineering - which I understand to be the application of knowledge - is closer to my cup of tea.

Ultimately, I'm wondering a few things.

1) Is my view of engineering correct? As opposed to pure science, which is the discovery of knowledge for its own sake, engineering is the application of knowledge to some practical purpose. Is that view correct?

2) If so, does an understanding of engineering give a truly fundamental understanding of the science behind it? For example, does a typical electrical engineer (forgive me if this choice of example is poor; I'm not 100% positive what each type of engineer does yet) understand the intricacies of, say, particle physics? My gut tells me this isn't the case, since that seems to be more the realm of the pure physicist.

3) I know I'll probably get crucified for this one, but what are the financial prospects for engineers? I've read that engineers make some of the best salaries straight out of college. How does this translate into later financial opportunities? Is a path from engineering into, say, management of an engineering firm a common path? Something like this would interest me if such opportunities are available.

I know this is sort of a long post, and I hope that I haven't simply reiterated what's already been said. I began to skim through the posts in this thread, but many were years old and, to be honest, my eyes began to bug out after page 13 or so =P

Thanks for any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

while engineers do make more than almost all other undergrads right out of school they really don't make that much more. Some business students will make just a few thousand dollars less. http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/08/pf/college/lucrative_degrees_winter07/index.htm

You will notice MIS which is a major usually for CS and computer engineering drop-outs, they make darn close to the same salary as the CS and CSe students. The sad fact is that the MIS student doesn't know much about computers at all, and they usually get the job over the cs student, In fact the average MIS student after the entry level will make around $115K according to BLS.gov while the engineers will make just around 60-70k at best.

though again many MIS students are Hired by huge companies over CS students and are even paid more, why I have no idea, there major is a complete joke.

Ariste said:

1) Basically. However, many engineers also perform pure research. Engineering is an incredibly deep field, and different positions can range from a hardware designer to basically an applied mathematician in control system theory. Engineers take existing theory and apply to to create new technologies or even new theories. There are plenty, plenty, plenty of theories that have been created by engineers.

2) An engineer would not understand the intricacies of particle physics unless he has gone into a field that utilizes that knowledge - say research on new materials to make chips out of. He would know enough to be dangerous - enough to understand new research by physicists and he would have the ability to analyze if it will work, if it will be beneficial, and how to actually use the new ideas.

He wouldn't do research in particle physics, he would do research in applying the particle physics.

However, there are different levels of abstraction. For example, someone who is designing hardware, even on the transistor level, would not need to know much particle physics.

3) The path from engineering into management is a very common path.

The financial/employment opportunities for engineers out of college are very, very good. I haven't known anyone to have had trouble.

im pretty sure this sounds immature, but if i wanted to make a flying car
what type of engineering should i go into?

and (for those who are already engineers in such a field or know of them)
what is the real possibility of me making one and being able to mass produce it within 30 years?

sorry again if its far fetched, its just yeh a dream lol