Linear transformations and subspaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix of a linear transformation T relative to a given basis B={b1,b2} for R2. The matrix is found by considering how T affects the basis vectors and expressing it in terms of the standard basis. The matrix can change depending on the choice of basis.
Deneb Cyg

Homework Statement

Let B={b1,b2} be a basis for R2 and let T be the linear transformation R2 to R2 such that T(b1)=2b1+b2 and T(b2)=b2. Find the matrix of T relative to the basis B.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the matrix I'm looking for needs to be 2x2 and that the standard matrix of a linear transformation is related to how the transformation would affect the identity matrix. However I don't understand how to relate it to the basis.

My best guess is:
T(b1)=2b1+b2
T(b2)=0b1+b2
so the matrix is [[2,0][1,1]]

But I'm not sure if this is right (if it is, I'm not sure why) or how to check it. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the linear map sends (1,0) to (2,1) and (0,1) to (0,1) (read as columns). So all you need to do is check that your matrix does that, and in checking it you should see why you did what you did to get the answer.

Okay, that makes sense. The second part of the question is "suppose now that b1=(1,1) and b2=(1,2) (read as columns). Find the matrix of T relative to the standard basis of R2."

Would the answer for this be the same [[2,0][1,1]] as before because its the same transformation or does defining B and relating it to the standard basis instead change the answer?

Changing basis changes T. I assume that when b1=(1,1) this is b1 relative to the standard basis e1 and e2 (well, 'standard' doesn't matter - it's just another basis).

There are several ways to do this. You could just try to work out what Te1 and Te2 are from the action of T on b1 and b2 (e.g. note that e2=b2-b1, so you know what Te2 is now, but don't forget to express Te2 in terms of e1 and e2.).

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output of a linear transformation is always a linear combination of its input.

2. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

A transformation is linear if it satisfies two properties: 1) the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of the individual transformations of those vectors, and 2) the transformation of a scalar multiple of a vector is equal to the scalar multiple of the transformation of that vector.

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the sum of any two vectors in a subspace must also be in the subspace, and any scalar multiple of a vector in the subspace must also be in the subspace.

4. How can you determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a subspace, you can check if the vectors satisfy the three conditions for a subspace: 1) the set contains the zero vector, 2) the set is closed under vector addition, and 3) the set is closed under scalar multiplication. If all three conditions are met, then the set of vectors forms a subspace.

5. Can a linear transformation have more than one input and output?

Yes, a linear transformation can have multiple inputs and outputs. For example, a transformation that maps a 3-dimensional vector to a 2-dimensional vector is still considered a linear transformation as long as it satisfies the properties of linearity.