Order of group elements ab and ba

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that in any group, the orders of ab and ba are equal. One individual presents a solution using associativity and the existence of inverses, while another points out that the proof only shows that the orders are divisors of each other, not necessarily equal. The conversation then continues to discuss potential ways to strengthen the proof and come to the conclusion that the orders must be equal.
antiemptyv

Homework Statement

Prove that in any group the orders of [tex]ab[/tex] and [tex]ba[/tex] equal.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [tex](ab)^{x} = 1.[/tex]

Using associativity, we get

[tex](ab)^{x} = a(ba)^{x-1}b = 1.[/tex]

Because of the existence of inverses--namely [tex]a^{-1}[/tex] and [tex]b^{-1}[/tex]--this implies

[tex](ba)^{x-1} = a^{-1}b^{-1} = (ba)^{-1}.[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by [tex](ba) = ((ba)^{-1})^{-1}[/tex] yields

[tex](ba)^{x} = 1.[/tex]

So,

[tex](ab)^{x} = (ba)^{x} = 1[/tex],

and the orders [tex]ab[/tex] and [tex]ba[/tex] are the same.

---

How is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct.

Thanks!

Well, technically you only proved that
[tex](ba)^{\mathop{\mathrm{ord}}(ab)} = 1[/tex]
which leads to the conclusion that the order of ba is a divisor of the order of ab. You have to do a little bit more work to prove they are equal.

Ahhh, I see... I think. So, if [tex](ab)^{x} = (ba)^{x} = 1[/tex], then ord(ba) divides ord(ab), AND ord(ab) divides ord(ba). Thus, ord(ab) = ord(ba)?

Right. It's important to pay attention to the difference between proving the order is equal to something, and the order simply divides something. I know I've made mistakes before by messing that up.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Hi,
I don't understand the step that goes:
(ab)^{x} = a(ba)^{x-1}b = 1.
Could someone elaborate, thanks!

sairalouise said:
Hi,
I don't understand the step that goes:
(ab)^{x} = a(ba)^{x-1}b = 1.
Could someone elaborate, thanks!
So I know where you're coming from... what have you done to try and understand it? Have you worked through any special cases? Made attempts at proving it?

I can show that the orders of an element and its inverse are equal, and have tried supposing that ab and ba have different orders to reach a contradiciton but i can't work the problem though.

sairalouise said:
I can show that the orders of an element and its inverse are equal, and have tried supposing that ab and ba have different orders to reach a contradiciton but i can't work the problem though.
I meant the specific line you were asking about:
(ab)^{x} = a(ba)^{x-1}b​

i just don't see how to get from one side of the equation to the other.

Hey, now i can!

is saying [tex](ab)^{x} = 1.[/tex] the same as saying [tex](ab)^{x} = e[/tex]?

Firepanda said:
is saying [tex](ab)^{x} = 1.[/tex] the same as saying [tex](ab)^{x} = e[/tex]?

Can someone confirm this for me please? it would greatly help my understanding

Yes and no. You can name the identity element of a group whatever you want, just like you can name the group operation whatever you want, as well as the inverse operation. The identity in antiemptyv's group was named '1'. That group doesn't have any elements named 'e', so [itex]
(ab)^{x} = e
[/itex] can't even make sense.

antiemptyv said:
Ahhh, I see... I think. So, if [tex](ab)^{x} = (ba)^{x} = 1[/tex], then ord(ba) divides ord(ab), AND ord(ab) divides ord(ba). Thus, ord(ab) = ord(ba)?

I hope I don't get a warning for necro-posting but I was doing research on order of elements of a group and came across this.

Hurkyl's comment that we only proved that |ba|= x means |ba| | x and not equal x.

But the proof that it is equal appeas to be weak.

So we're saying (ba)x=(ab)x = e implies |ba| | |ab| and |ab| | |ba| which makes them equal. seems weak to me.

Let |ba| = d s.t. d < x and x = k.d for some pos. integer k, then surely d ≠ x.

any ideas?

1. What is the order of group elements ab and ba?

The order of group elements ab and ba is determined by the number of times the elements must be combined with themselves to result in the identity element. In other words, it is the smallest positive integer n such that (ab)^n = e and (ba)^n = e, where e is the identity element.

2. How is the order of group elements ab and ba calculated?

The order of group elements ab and ba can be calculated using the formula gcd(ord(a), ord(b)), where ord(a) and ord(b) are the orders of the individual elements a and b, respectively. This can also be calculated by finding the least common multiple of the orders of a and b.

3. Can the order of group elements ab and ba be different?

Yes, the order of group elements ab and ba can be different. This is because the order is dependent on the individual elements a and b, and their order may not be the same. In some cases, the order of ab may be equal to the order of ba, while in others it may be different.

4. What is the significance of the order of group elements ab and ba?

The order of group elements ab and ba is significant because it determines the structure and properties of the group. The order can help identify if the group is a cyclic group, abelian group, or a non-abelian group. It also has implications for the solvability of the group and the complexity of its subgroups.

5. How does the order of group elements ab and ba affect their commutativity?

In general, the order of group elements ab and ba does not affect their commutativity. However, if the order of ab is equal to the order of ba, then the group is said to be abelian and the elements ab and ba will commute with each other. If the orders are different, then the group is non-abelian and the elements will not commute.