Understanding How H=U+PV is a State Function

• Thread starter weng cheong
  • Start date
In summary: H=A+BIn summary, H is a state function because it depends only on the current state of the system, not on the way in which the system acquired that state. It can be calculated using Boyle's law for any chemical equation depicting that H does not depend on how many intermediate equations were considered to obtain the result.
weng cheong
it was stated on a cambridge notes that, H is a state function.
though H depends on U, which is a state function, however P and V also affect the value of H,
how can H be a state function?

Physics news on Phys.org
P and V are also state functions, aren't they?

yes they are, but then why isn't work done a state function?

weng cheong said:
yes they are, but then why isn't work done a state function?

I think the introductory paragraph from wikipedia states it pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functions_of_state
wikipedia said:
In thermodynamics, a state function, function of state, state quantity, or state variable is a property of a system that depends only on the current state of the system, not on the way in which the system acquired that state (independent of path). A state function describes the equilibrium state of a system. For example, internal energy, enthalpy, and entropy are state quantities because they describe quantitatively an equilibrium state of a thermodynamic system, irrespective of how the system arrived in that state. In contrast, mechanical work and heat are process quantities because their values depend on the specific transition (or path) between two equilibrium states.

The opposite of a state function is a path function.

The product PV is a state function because it doesn't depend on the path.

I like Serena
does it mean that work done is a path function, because for the same value of work done, the might be a lot of combination of pressure and volume values?

Timthereaper
then why are you saying that PV(the work done) is a state function?

weng cheong said:
I like Serena
does it mean that work done is a path function, because for the same value of work done, the might be a lot of combination of pressure and volume values?

It means that you can execute a process doing work, while starting and ending at the same state.

Consider for instance a combustion engine.
It makes the following so called Otto cycle:
300px-P-V_otto.png

During the cycle a number of transitions are made, beginning and ending at the same p-V point, which is the same state.
However, since the path through which work is done, has an enclosed surface, the work done is not zero, but an amount that depends on the path.

alright, then H=U+PV.
we know that U is state function while PV is a path function. then how can the sum making H a state function?

weng cheong said:
we know that U is state function while PV is a path function. then how can the sum making H a state function?

PV is itself a state function, not a path one. No matter how a system gets to a particular Pressure and Volume, the value PV will always be the same; it is a function only of the state variables P and V.

In fact, the equation PV = constant is a state equation known a Boyle's Law.

weng cheong said:
alright, then H=U+PV.

Jasso said:
PV is itself a state function, not a path one. No matter how a system gets to a particular Pressure and Volume, the value PV will always be the same; it is a function only of the state variables P and V.

In fact, the equation PV = constant is a state equation known a Boyle's Law.

Wow! PV is not a function, and actually it should be pV (pressure is usually denoted using the lower case letter p).
It is simply p times V, pressure times volume, which are both state variables.

And yes, pV = constant is Boyle's law, but that law is only a special case of the ideal gas law, and assumes temperature is constant.
In other words, in general pV is not constant.

Furthermore pV is not the work done.

Last edited:
pV = RT is a state equation known as boyle's law.hence, pV must be a state function and so (U+pV) is a state function on account of being the sum of 2 state functions or variables.

refer hess,s theorem on constant heat summation. enthalpy or H can be calculated using this law for any chemical equation depicting that H does not depend on how many intermediate equations were considered to obtain the result.

2C +H2>C2H2 ; H=a(say)
C2H4 + H2>C2H4 ; H=B(say)

then
2C+2H2>C2H4 ; H=a+b.
even if it is independent of the prev. 2 steps"
simply, 2H+2H2>C2H4 ; H=a+b
so the eqn. as well as the enthalpy,H is independent of the path taken.It is a state function.

anigeo said:
pV = RT is a state equation known as boyle's law.hence, pV must be a state function and so (U+pV) is a state function on account of being the sum of 2 state functions or variables.

Again, you cannot use Boyle's law in general, but since you do not use it in your argument, the conclusion is correct. ;)

I like Serena said:
Wow! PV is not a function, and actually it should be pV (pressure is usually denoted using the lower case letter p).

I suggest you take that up with my Thermodynamics textbook, and wikipedia for that matter. They both state that PV is a state function. The textbook was Carter's “Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics” 2nd edition.

And as far as p versus P, the textbook I used had used P for pressure. However, I have seen various other textbooks use one or the other.

Jasso said:
I suggest you take that up with my Thermodynamics textbook, and wikipedia for that matter. They both state that PV is a state function. The textbook was Carter's “Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics” 2nd edition.

And as far as p versus P, the textbook I used had used P for pressure. However, I have seen various other textbooks use one or the other.

All right. I concede! :smile:
I see indeed that P is also used for pressure and that PV is referred to as a state function.
Note that PV is still simply P times V, which are both state variables.

As a mathematician, ILS may have been thinking of composition of functions when discussing PV.

However there is no reason why the composite function (PV) could not be considered as a (state) function in its own right. For instance the function 'work' is also known as Fd.

go well

Mathematically, you could think a state function as resultant of a exact differential, i.e., the integral form of your function is dependent only on the final and initial states.

weng cheong said:
Timthereaper
then why are you saying that PV(the work done) is a state function?

Work done is not PV, it is PdV

1. What is the definition of a state function?

A state function is a physical quantity that depends only on the current state of a system and is independent of the path taken to reach that state. In other words, it is a property that is fixed at a certain point and is not affected by the process of reaching that point.

2. Why is it important to understand that H=U+PV is a state function?

Understanding that H=U+PV is a state function is important because it allows us to accurately calculate and predict the changes in a system's internal energy, pressure, volume, and enthalpy without needing to know the specific details of the process that occurred to reach that state. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze and compare different systems.

3. How is enthalpy related to internal energy, pressure, and volume?

Enthalpy (H) is a measure of a system's total energy, including both its internal energy (U) and the energy required to push back against the external pressure (PV). Therefore, H=U+PV represents the relationship between these three variables.

4. Can you give an example of how H=U+PV is a state function?

Imagine a balloon filled with air at a certain pressure and volume. When the balloon is heated, its internal energy increases and causes the air molecules inside to move faster and push against the walls of the balloon, increasing its pressure. The volume of the balloon also expands slightly due to the increase in temperature. However, the enthalpy of the system (H) remains the same regardless of the specific process that occurred, as it only depends on the current state of the system.

5. How is the state function H=U+PV used in thermodynamics?

H=U+PV is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that is used to calculate the changes in a system's internal energy, pressure, volume, and enthalpy. It is used to analyze and compare different thermodynamic processes and to determine the energy efficiency of various systems. Additionally, it is used in the development of equations such as the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics.