Rick Santorum's candidacy

• News
  • Thread starter ThomasT
  • Start date
In summary: Apparently Rick thinks that scientists aren't moral and need to be "checked"He didn't say scientists are not moral. He said they are amoral. That is (my opinion) a valid criticism. It is a valid criticism of many human constructs. Businesses are, or can be, amoral; sometimes business can be downright immoral. So can science. The Tuskegee syphilis study was pretty repugnant.This inherent amorality of human constructs is why we need to regulate them. Businesses need to be constrained in what they can and cannot do. So does medical research, weapons research, and just about any other scientific research that unconstrained could adversely
turbo said:
Apparently, it is.
Whatever. As far as I'm concerned, Santorum is an extremist religious geek who should be selling hamburgers at McDonalds. (Not that they filter for extremist religious geeks in their hiring practices, but I'm supposing that there's less chance of an extremist religious geek spitting on my hamburger than a wannabe gangsta.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Out and out bigots always have a good chance to win a few contests, but hopefully not the big one.

mathwonk said:
Out and out bigots always have a good chance to win a few contests, but hopefully not the big one.
I don't think that geeky extremist religious fanaticism implies out and out bigotry. Unless it does. In which case, that's what I think. But I'm not sure.

ThomasT said:
I don't think that geeky extremist religious fanaticism implies out and out bigotry. Unless it does. In which case, that's what I think. But I'm not sure.

I would agree. Believe anything you want, but I don't consider it bigotry. Acting on it is bigotry (imo).

Gee, I guess I already said this about rick santorum. but i am attracted here again today on MLK's birthday. I marched in montgomery with MLK and saw the confederate flag flying over the statehouse in montgomery alabama in 1965. I was threatened by bigoted scum in birmingham on my way home. I never forgot it.

Just few years ago we had another march here in Georgia when it was publicized that we had a county here which had not allowed black residents for about 100 years. The lady I rented from in Decatur in 1984 confided to me when we moved, and a black couple viewed the house, that she was afraid renting to them would upset the white people across the street. Today I am embarrassed that I did not inform the authorities, or at least the black couple, of that conversation.

to me rick santorum is an out and out total bigot, and it embarrasses and scares me that this kind of creepy person can be seriously considered as a candidate for president of the USA in 2012. There is nothing religious about denying rights to citizens. Jesus was not a bigot, he consorted with everyone, and sinners more than self righteous people.

By the way Herman Cain is about as bad as a candidate. The republican party is currently a ridiculous joke, reaching out for anyone, no matter how ludicrously unqualified, to be an opponent to the current democratic president.

I won't even discuss Newt.

Last edited:
Can you say why you think he's a bigot?

russ_watters said:
Can you say why you think he's a bigot?

I would imagine that mathwonk is referring to Santorum's open disgust with gay people, and his habit of attributing sensational danger to them as a social group (for instance, it's become fashionable among a number of figures within the religious right, and a number of candidates, to suggest that gays are in some way responsible for the current economic crisis).

Last edited:
I'm not quoting this to criticize Santorum, but to criticize Yahoo.com which seems to be on a mission. Nearly double? Does this mean he's going to get nearly 200% of the votes? You can read the entire article in a few seconds. It shows an amazing lack of depth.

David Pennock said:
Santorum immediately enjoyed a small but significant boost in the prediction markets, nearly doubling his chance of winning the South Carolina Republican primary next Saturday from about 2.5 percent to almost 6 percent.

Yahoo.com

Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm not quoting this to criticize Santorum, but to criticize Yahoo.com which seems to be on a mission. Nearly double? Does this mean he's going to get nearly 200% of the votes? You can read the entire article in a few seconds. It shows an amazing lack of depth.

Yahoo.com
I agree with your assessment, except that I'd substitute something like 'ridiculous' for 'amazing' (wrt the lack of depth). Basically saying the same thing, but in a more pejorative way.

Number Nine said:
I would imagine that mathwonk is referring to Santorum's open disgust with gay people, and his habit of attributing sensational danger to them as a social group (for instance, it's become fashionable among a number of figures within the religious right, and a number of candidates, to suggest that gays are in some way responsible for the current economic crisis).
In that case then, yes, it would seem that geeky extremist religious fanaticism does imply out and out bigotry.

Santorum wants to deny abortion rights in all cases. He says that rape-victims should just get over it and make the best of it. What a monster.

turbo said:
Santorum wants to deny abortion rights in all cases. He says that rape-victims should just get over it and make the best of it. What a monster.

link?

Thanks, Evo. I thought that would have been all over the net, but should have linked it.

Sorry, Greg. Rules are rules, and especially in the political vein, I should have been more meticulous.

Last edited:
You still haven't substantiated the "just get over it" part.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, but calling him a "monster" for saying people should make the best of a bad situation seems pretty far out there to me.

Does this satisfy you?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091170/Rick-Santorum-Rape-victims-gift-baby-pregnant.html

'And so to embrace her and to love her and to support her and get her through this very difficult time, I've always, you know, I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created - in the sense of rape - but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you.
'As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life we have horrible things happen. I can't think of anything more horrible, but nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation and I would make the argument that that is making the best.'

No, it doesn't. He didn't say it, did he?

Are you being purposely dense? You're completely ignoring what it is you need to substantiate. Again:

1. You: "He says...make the best of it."
Santorum: "make the best of a bad situation"
Conclusion: Close enough to an exact quote (you didn't use quotes - you paraphrased).

2. You: "He says...just get over it"
Santorum: ...?
Conclusion: You need to substantiate that Santorum said something approaching "just get over it".

Re-linking the first quote over and over again does not substantiate the second one!

Mighty thin if you ask me.

Santorum is, clearly enough, imho, a geeky extremist religious fanatic bigot. Which, minus the geekiness, is, afaik, and wrt my personal experience, pretty much the norm in some regions of the US.

I grew up in a time and place where extremist religious fanatical bigotry was the status quo. It was what laws were based on.

It makes me a bit sad that the US still produces Rick Santorums by the millions. But I wouldn't call them monsters. Just victims of a certain socialization. That is, I think that people, like Santorum, who hold extremist religious fanatical bigoted views, aren't, just because they hold those views, psychopaths or sociopaths or in any way bad people.

But because Santorum holds the views that he does he can't, imho, be considered a serious contender for the highest administrative office in the country.

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
Santorum is, clearly enough, imho, a geeky extremist religious fanatic bigot. Which, minus the geekiness, is, afaik, and wrt my personal experience, pretty much the norm in some regions of the US.

I grew up in a time and place where extremist religious fanatical bigotry was the status quo. It was what laws were based on.

It makes me a bit sad that the US still produces Rick Santorums by the millions. But I wouldn't call them monsters. Just victims of a certain socialization. That is, I think that people, like Santorum, who hold extremist religious fanatical bigoted views, aren't, just because they hold those views, psychopaths or sociopaths or in any way bad people.

But because Santorum holds the views that he does he can't, imho, be considered a serious contender for the highest administrative office in the country.

I agree, I don't think he's an evil person, and I don't think he is personally a monster.

But forced pregnancies are as appalling as forced abortions - I put both of those actions in the "monstrous" category.

lisab said:
But forced pregnancies are as appalling as forced abortions - I put both of those actions in the "monstrous" category.
AFAIK, no pregnant women are being abducted and given abortions against their will.

Evo said:
AFAIK, no pregnant women are being abducted and given abortions against their will.
Afaik, I think you're right. But I think that lisab was just making a point. Wrt which I agree ... except for the "monstrous" characterization. I think that 'misguided' or 'ignorant' or some such characterization would be more correct. Religious zealots, bigots, etc., aren't, imho, monsters. They're just ignorant, somewhat backward. There's no crime wrt that. They are, as are we all, simply products of their socialization. Some of us have been fortunate enough to have had a wider range of influences than others, and therefore have a wider, and maybe deeper, view of things.

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
Afaik, I think you're right. But I think that lisab was just making a point. Wrt which I agree.
Me too. Just wanted to make sure no one got the impression that abortions were forced.

Evo said:

True, forced abortions don't happen in the West.

But my point is, by outlawing abortion, society is forcing women to go through with the pregnancy, i.e., a forced pregnancy. And forced pregnancies are the flip side of forced abortions. Both are abhorrent in a civilized society, IMO.

lisab said:

But my point is, by outlawing abortion, society is forcing women to go through with the pregnancy, i.e., a forced pregnancy. And forced pregnancies are the flip side of forced abortions. Both are abhorrent in a civilized society, IMO.
Yes, and outlawing abortion, means women will be forced to seek dangerous, illegal abortions, except for the rich will simply send their daughters abroad to where abortions are legal.

lisab said:

I don't think that abortions will be outlawed, ie., that pregnancies will be forced. Roe vs Wade was a landmark wrt the progression of civilization. And it doesn't seem likely that Western civilization would outlaw certain pregnancies, thus forcing abortion in certain circumstances. Your points are taken, and it seems to me that any freely thinking person, not constrained by the archaic doctrines of traditional theistic religions, would agree with the position that whether to abort or not is decision best left to the prospective mother, and not a matter for politicians to decide.

Evo said:
Yes, and outlawing abortion, means women will be forced to seek dangerous, illegal abortions, except for the rich will simply send their daughters abroad to where abortions are legal.
The wealthy will be able to afford this option. The poor will not, which would set us back several decades, at least.

turbo said:
The wealthy will be able to afford this option. The poor will not, which would set us back several decades, at least.
So, a good reason, imho, to not vote for Santorum (and his ilk) ... for any public office.

Last edited:
ThomasT said:
So, a good reason, imho, to not vote for Santorum (and his ilk) ... for any public office. Beside the fact that the dude is just so ... dickish.

Let's stick to constructive arguments rather than name calling. This thread is full of it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Let's stick to constructive arguments rather than name calling. This thread is full of it.
Done (I deleted the offending statement.). However, I do think that categorical characterizations can be economically useful.

I'm not a Republican, but I personally favor Santorum over the more extreme candidates like Obama, Newt, and RonPaul.

jduster said:
I'm not a Republican, but I personally favor Santorum over the more extreme candidates like Obama, Newt, and RonPaul.
You don't think Santorum has extreme views? You agree with his views on rape victims, against contraception of any kind, including condoms, against pre-marital sex, etc...?

Evo said:
You don't think Santorum has extreme views? You agree with his views on rape victims, against contraception of any kind, including condoms, against pre-marital sex, etc...?

Well, rape does not change the moral dilemma abortion, pro-life or pro-choice. If the fetus is not a life, it's not a life. But if it is a life, then aborting it solely on the ground that its father was a rapist, is murder. But its inconsistent to say, if the fetus is a life, that its killing an innocent life, but its not killing an innocent life if it was procreated by rape.

While, I'm not against contraception or pre-marital sex, those are just his personal beliefs - not ideas he is actually proposing to make law.

<h2>What are Rick Santorum's qualifications for running for president?</h2><p>Rick Santorum has a Bachelor's degree in Political Science, an MBA, and a Juris Doctorate. He also served as a Senator for Pennsylvania from 1995 to 2007.</p><h2>What is Rick Santorum's stance on key issues?</h2><p>Rick Santorum is known for his conservative views on social issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and immigration. He also supports a strong national defense and smaller government.</p><h2>Has Rick Santorum run for president before?</h2><p>Yes, Rick Santorum ran for president in 2012 and 2016. He won the Iowa caucuses in 2012 but ultimately lost the nomination to Mitt Romney.</p><h2>What challenges does Rick Santorum face in his candidacy?</h2><p>Rick Santorum faces challenges in gaining support from moderate and independent voters due to his conservative views. He also faces competition from other candidates with more name recognition and political experience.</p><h2>What is Rick Santorum's campaign strategy?</h2><p>Rick Santorum's campaign strategy focuses on appealing to conservative and religious voters, particularly in key primary states. He also emphasizes his working-class background and experience in Congress.</p>

What are Rick Santorum's qualifications for running for president?

Rick Santorum has a Bachelor's degree in Political Science, an MBA, and a Juris Doctorate. He also served as a Senator for Pennsylvania from 1995 to 2007.

What is Rick Santorum's stance on key issues?

Rick Santorum is known for his conservative views on social issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and immigration. He also supports a strong national defense and smaller government.

Has Rick Santorum run for president before?

Yes, Rick Santorum ran for president in 2012 and 2016. He won the Iowa caucuses in 2012 but ultimately lost the nomination to Mitt Romney.

What challenges does Rick Santorum face in his candidacy?

Rick Santorum faces challenges in gaining support from moderate and independent voters due to his conservative views. He also faces competition from other candidates with more name recognition and political experience.

What is Rick Santorum's campaign strategy?

Rick Santorum's campaign strategy focuses on appealing to conservative and religious voters, particularly in key primary states. He also emphasizes his working-class background and experience in Congress.