Anonymous to attack DNS servers tomorrow?

• Thread starter Bandit127
  • Start date
In summary, Anonymous has released a statement denouncing an internet DNS attack and claiming it will be worse than SOPA. While it is possible this is a joke, it's more likely this is just a warning to society.
Bandit127
Gold Member
I normally treat the "end of the world" stories in the media with a healthy dose of scepticism. I fully expect to wake up on 22-12-12, no problem for example. My own calendar runs out every year and I have to buy a new one...

However this story is being covered by SANS:
http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Tomorrow+the+world+will+end/12868

Depending on your own level of scepticism, you might just want to ping your favourite websites to get the IP address if you plan on checking the news, weather (etc) and posts on Physics Forums (74.86.200.109) tomorrow and the worst actually does happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
What on Earth would be the reason for this?

Such a large scale attack being carried out like this is quite unlikely to succeed. I expect no change.

Evo said:
What on Earth would be the reason for this?

For teh lulz

Anonymous is more socially aware than that. This would be worse for society than letting SOPA pass, so it would be contradictory for them to support it.

Pythagorean said:
Anonymous is more socially aware than that. This would be worse for society than letting SOPA pass, so it would be contradictory for them to support it.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, it's possible that they'd want to do this for exactly that reason. To give society a 'taste' of what it would be like if we let SOPA et al pass.

...Though, to be perfectly honest, I hope they have a little more sense than that. If it doesn't work (and let's be realistic, it most likely won't) people will point at Anonymous and say they're just a bunch of posers. If it *does* work, most people will only start hating them more. I know I will.

Someone linked this regarding the same topic elsewhere...
217521921_7GXmh-L-2.jpg

if anyone cares, 4chan happens to be down at the moment

one: April fools joke

two: Given the specifics of the plan were announced, if anything, I'd say it was more of a "Here's how the internet's infrastructure is potentially vulnerable, so secure it"

What is Anonymous?

Anonymous is a loosely organized international group of hacktivists who aim to promote freedom of speech and fight against censorship and corruption. They are known for their cyber attacks on government and corporate websites.

What are DNS servers?

DNS servers are servers that store the database of domain names and their corresponding IP addresses. They are responsible for translating human-readable domain names into machine-readable IP addresses.

Why is Anonymous planning to attack DNS servers?

Anonymous has not officially announced any plans to attack DNS servers. However, they have previously targeted DNS servers in order to disrupt communication and cause chaos as a form of protest or retaliation against certain organizations or governments.

How can the attack on DNS servers affect internet users?

If a DNS server is successfully attacked, it can result in websites becoming inaccessible or slow to load. This can also lead to disruption of other internet services such as email and online banking.

What measures can be taken to protect against the potential attack on DNS servers?

As an internet user, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your internet traffic and protect your online activities. Organizations can also implement security measures such as firewalls and regularly update their DNS software to prevent attacks.