How to make HDMI work on duplicate mode?

In summary: If you have a 16:10 monitor and a 16:9 TV, the image will be chopped off on the side of the TV that is not 16:9. If you have a 4:3 monitor and a 16:9 TV, the image will be chopped off at the top and bottom. The solution is to buy a monitor that is the same aspect ratio as your TV.
Hood
I have a brand new HDMI cable that was successfully tested with another laptop but it doesn't work with mine. I tried everything but I only manage to get extended mode working which still doesn't have good resolution on my tv. On other resolutions it doesn't work and on duplicate mode none of the resolutions work. How to make it work on duplicate mode so that it would perfectly fit the screen of the tv?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure your laptop works with your TV? From what you wrote it is not clear if it is the cable that is a problem.

Borek said:
Are you sure your laptop works with your TV? From what you wrote it is not clear if it is the cable that is a problem.

Cable is definitely not the cause of the problem. I'm even capable of connecting it on the extension mode but there is something wrong with the resolution since the view doesn't fit.
Waiting for the response on how to connect it on duplicate mode with perfectly fitted screen.

Hood said:
Cable is definitely not the cause of the problem. I'm even capable of connecting it on the extension mode but there is something wrong with the resolution since the view doesn't fit.
Waiting for the response on how to connect it on duplicate mode with perfectly fitted screen.

Which video card are you using?

I have an ATI brand card, I had to download the drivers & software package.

The software allowed me to make changes to the secondary display.

The resolution is changed by right clicking on the desktop, and selecting "resolution" (or whatever it is). From there you can select the secondary display and change the resolution.

For whatever reason my video card defaults the secondary display to a 720p or similar format every time I restart the computer.

nitsuj said:
Which video card are you using?

This is what I find: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Hood said:
I have a brand new HDMI cable that was successfully tested with another laptop but it doesn't work with mine.

Hood said:
Cable is definitely not the cause of the problem.

You've lost me.

Not that I have any ideas.

Try setting your laptops resolution to 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

two things. First find the manual for your TV and figure out what the maximum supported resolution is, you might be trying to run a resolution bigger than what your tv will support.

then go to the intel website and download the latest video drivers for your system and install them.

Keep in mind that if your monitor is widescreen and your TV is not (or vice-versa), then the display will not fit on both correctly. Essentially, you're taking different shaped screens and saying the same image is not occupying all the space on both screens. It's not supposed to.

1. How do I switch my computer to duplicate mode on HDMI?

To switch your computer to duplicate mode on HDMI, you will need to go to your display settings. On a Windows computer, you can right-click on your desktop and select "Display settings." Then, click on "Multiple displays" and choose "Duplicate these displays." On a Mac, you can go to the Apple menu, select "System Preferences," and click on "Displays." Then, choose "Arrangement" and check the box next to "Mirror Displays."

2. Why is my HDMI not working in duplicate mode?

There could be several reasons why your HDMI is not working in duplicate mode. Some common causes include a faulty HDMI cable, outdated graphics drivers, or incorrect display settings. Try replacing the HDMI cable, updating your drivers, or adjusting your display settings to see if that resolves the issue.

3. How can I troubleshoot HDMI duplicate mode issues?

To troubleshoot HDMI duplicate mode issues, you can try the following steps:

• Make sure your HDMI cable is securely connected to both your computer and the display.
  • Check that your display is set to the correct input source for the HDMI connection.
  • Update your graphics drivers to the latest version.
  • Restart your computer and the display.
  • Adjust your display settings to duplicate the screen on HDMI.

4. Can I use HDMI duplicate mode with multiple displays?

Yes, you can use HDMI duplicate mode with multiple displays. However, your graphics card must support multiple displays. You can check this by going to your graphics card's control panel or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications.

5. How do I extend my desktop across multiple displays using HDMI?

To extend your desktop across multiple displays using HDMI, go to your display settings and choose "Extend these displays" instead of "Duplicate these displays." This will allow you to have different content on each display, effectively extending your desktop.