Solving a Complex Problem: Can You Help?

• Thread starter sfphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the problem involves using the spherical interface formula to solve for the unknown value of q. The given formula is (n1/p)+(n2/q)=((n2-n2)/R) and the author has found q=15cm. However, the provided answer is 23cm and the author is seeking guidance on the correct approach to solve the problem. The suggestion is made to account for the flat end of the rod as well, and it is also asked if this is a homework problem.
sfphysics
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I tried using the spherical interface formula (n1/p)+(n2/q)=((n2-n2)/R) and I get q=15cm which I cannot seem to relate to the answer provided (23cm). Anyone know the correct way to approach this problem?
attachment.php?attachmentid=58375&stc=1&d=1367371157.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• physicsproblem429a.jpg
    physicsproblem429a.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 490
Science news on Phys.org
You probably need to account for the flat end of the rod as well.

sfphysics said:
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I tried using the spherical interface formula (n1/p)+(n2/q)=((n2-n2)/R) and I get q=15cm which I cannot seem to relate to the answer provided (23cm). Anyone know the correct way to approach this problem?
[ IMG]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58375&stc=1&d=1367371157[/PLAIN]

Thanks.
Is this a Homework problem?

1. What is the first step in solving a complex problem?

The first step in solving a complex problem is to fully understand and define the problem. This includes identifying any underlying causes and considering all possible factors that may contribute to the problem.

2. How can I break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts?

One approach to breaking down a complex problem is to use a systematic method, such as the "divide and conquer" strategy. This involves breaking the problem into smaller, more specific sub-problems that can be tackled individually.

3. What role do creativity and innovation play in problem solving?

Creativity and innovation are important in problem solving because they allow for new and unique solutions to be developed. Thinking outside of the box and approaching the problem from different perspectives can lead to more effective and efficient solutions.

4. How do I know when I have found the best solution to a complex problem?

Finding the best solution to a complex problem may involve evaluating multiple options and considering the potential outcomes and consequences of each. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and determine which solution aligns best with the desired outcome.

5. What should I do if I am stuck and cannot seem to find a solution?

If you are stuck and cannot find a solution, it may be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. Asking for input or seeking advice from others can also provide new perspectives and potential solutions. It may also be beneficial to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh mind.