Ac coupling and offset voltage in amplifier

by sandy.bridge
Tags: amplifier, coupling, offset, voltage
Share this thread:
sandy.bridge
Sep12-13, 07:55 PM
P: 778
Hey all,

Just a question concerning the image I have provided. If I have an offset of 0.1 mV at the non inverting input, how exactly does coupling take effect in this set up? If I input an ac signal, it will pass through the cap, but will the op-amp not still experience the offset voltage?

Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
meBigGuy
Sep12-13, 11:16 PM
P: 1,084
Ignoring input bias current for the moment, a 0.1V offset at the - input means there is a 0.1mv output. That dc offset will always be there. A signal input through C2 will have that DC signal imposed on it.

Think of it this way. The opamp will output whatever is required to maintain 0.1V between + and -. Input bias currents cause a voltage drop across R2, but the effect is the same.
sandy.bridge
Sep13-13, 07:32 AM
Is it not possible to utilize bypass capacitors such that the offset does not offset the input ac signal?

analogdesign
Sep13-13, 10:01 AM
P: 519
Ac coupling and offset voltage in amplifier

No bypass caps don't work that way. meBigGuy is right. Another way to think of it is you have a 0.1mV DC voltage source in front of one of your op amp inputs. How is a bypass cap going to do anything about that?
sandy.bridge
Sep13-13, 10:36 AM
That's what I figured. There is an example in my book, however, that neglects the offset voltage that is inherent to that particular op-amp. For example, they had a nominal gain of 1000, an offset voltage of 0.03 V, and they asked the maximum input signal that would result in an ouput of 10V peak amplitude. They answered with 0.01V, which does not accout for the dc offset. I found this odd considering the dc offset was given at the beginning of the example. Just thought I would ask in case I was missing something. Thanks.
analogdesign
Sep13-13, 10:39 AM
P: 519
No worries. Offsets typically set the real-world limit to the gain you can get out of a closed-loop voltage amplifier. You can do things to cancel them but that adds complexity, of course.
sandy.bridge
Sep13-13, 10:46 AM
Perfect, thanks again!
NascentOxygen
Sep14-13, 12:07 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,344
Quote Quote by sandy.bridge View Post
For example, they had a nominal gain of 1000, an offset voltage of 0.03 V, and they asked the maximum input signal that would result in an ouput of 10V peak amplitude. They answered with 0.01V, which does not accout for the dc offset.
Maybe the OP-AMP was powered by rails of 45V?
sandy.bridge
Oct11-13, 11:20 AM
Here, I will display the question at hand word for word. "A non-inverting amplifier with a closed-loop gain of 1000 is designed using an op-amp having an input offset voltage of 5 mV and output saturation levels of +/-13V. What is the maximum amplitude of the sine wave that can be applied at the input without capacitive coupling and with it?" The figure with capacitive coupling was provided above already.

The answers provided by both the textbook and my professor were 8 mV without coupling, 13 mV with it.

Another question regarding the output voltage due to bias currents for the integrator with feedback resistor [itex]R_f[/itex]: my textbook states that the output voltage due to the bias currents is [itex]v_o=R_fI_{OS}[/itex], however, if non-inverting input is grounded, the only current contributing to the output voltage is the bias current entering the inverting node. Hence, [itex]v_o=R_fI_{B^-}[/itex]. What exactly am I missing here?

Register to reply