Counting my chickens and all that

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's search for a new car and their preferences for a sporty and visually appealing vehicle. They mention various options such as the Chrysler Sebring, Pontiac Solstice, Nissan Z, and Ford Mustang. Other suggestions are also given, such as a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry Solara. The speaker also mentions their hesitation towards a practical car and their desire for a car that does not give off a middle-class engineer vibe. They also mention attending a car show and considering getting a car with a supercharged or turbocharged engine. The conversation ends with discussion about the Pontiac GTO being too expensive and the speaker's estimated budget of $25K.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I'm currently looking for a job. I've been telling myself all through school that my current car has to last me, and it has... barely. It currently has no ABS (the modulator is bad, but the brakes still work) so it can't go through the Maryland emissions test which is due. It is leaking oil. The driver side mirror is cracked. Etc. Etc. The little thing has held up fairly well considering I only payed $10K for it and have only put about $1000 into repairs over the 7 years I've had it. http://www.mcquaide.com/Images/Cars/sunfire-98-green-front.jpg [Broken]... not the one in the picture, but one of her 2-doored sisters...

I'm close enough to it now that I'm thinking about what type I want to get as a replacement, and now I invite you all to share in my wet dream. :tongue2:

These are the ones I'm currently debating:

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the http://www.chrysler.com/sebring_convertible/features/exterior_photos/index.html [Broken]. :!)

I just noticed the http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/360.jsp?deepLink=exterior [Broken], which is a very sekschy thing.

Then there is the http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelHomePage/0,,126240,00.html?destination=VLP&modelName=z. More than I want to spend by a little bit, but I might still consider it if I can get a good deal somewhere.

Lastly, the trusty http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

Which should I get? Did I miss any others? I'm looking for a sporty car. There will be time for sensible cars when I whelp my offspring. That isn't going to be for a little while longer, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest the Sebring convertible. I have a red one. Love that car.

Go for the Nissan Z, but buy it used, like 1-2 years old. If you buy it new it will just depreciate the moment you drive off the lot. Its not worth it. Japp cars are notoriously more reliable. If you want reliablity, buy a honda, without question. Mine is 8 years old, and has broken down a total of 0 times so far. It has 108k miles on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-EVO-VIII-in-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ4606774379QQcategoryZ43919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a very good, fast, sporty car.

I also like this version and year of the VW Jetta, its real nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI-1-8-TURBO-10K-MILES-WOW_W0QQitemZ4606883901QQcategoryZ6021QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Its sort of the 'BMW M3' of jettas. But, the jetta is made for midgets. The interior is horribly small. Its pathetic. Germans are not small people, I don't know what made them think anyone in germany would fit inside that thing?

Last edited:
After over 700,000 miles, got to say it: Go Japanese. Many are made here now anyway.

Honda Civic Sedan - 4 door. A very practical car.

Also look at the mileage, how many miles you might drive each year, and figure the cost of gasoline.

You may also consider the resale value, even after 10-12 years.

I don't want a practical car yet. :yuck:
If I can find a practical car that looks sporty, then fine... but I don't want one that LOOKS like I'm practical.
For crying out loud. My handle is enigma. I picked that for a reason. :grumpy: Ever since I cut my hair off last year, I've been worried that the leather motorcycle jacket just isn't cutting it... little old ladies don't shy away from me (as much) any more... I at least want a car that doesn't scream: I'm a middle-class engineer.

A car which screams: 'I'm a middle-class engineer whose having a mid-life crisis' is okay though.

Last edited:
Hey enigma, jan24-29 is the Washington auto show. I’m going down on Tuesday before the semester starts. You should head down there and shop around, and tell all the show girls, "do you come with the car?" It’s at the DC convention center, till 9p.m each night I believe, 700+ cars. Plus you can enter that contest where you have to hang onto the car for 1 week to win it. Then you might get a new car for FREE!

Last edited:
Do you want a small fun car or what?

What's your budget?

enigma said:
I don't want a practical car yet. :yuck:
If I can find a practical car that looks sporty, then fine... but I don't want one that LOOKS like I'm practical.
For crying out loud. My handle is enigma. I picked that for a reason. :grumpy: Ever since I cut my hair off last year, I've been worried that the leather motorcycle jacket just isn't cutting it... little old ladies don't shy away from me (as much) any more... I at least want a car that doesn't scream: I'm a middle-class engineer.
A car which screams: 'I'm a middle-class engineer whose having a mid-life crisis' is okay though.

Sebring .

I sware to you, the sebring is what all the old people drive in the Dc area. Old as in, retired.

Test drive all of them

BTW, have you thought of the Toyota Camry Solara? I'm not sure if you would want something smaller to have more fun though...

Toyota Camry Solara, lol. That too comes with a retirement pin.

Why not get a little car, and pay some extra cash to get it supercharged/turbocharged?

If I had your money, I'd buy a Cavalier and drop the Grand Prix Supercharged 3.8L in there. If you do the internals right, and get the right modifications, you have it set at like 12-15 PSI for daily driving. That would easily make a Vette look like $#!+ for half the price or less.

Why not get a Pontiac GTO? :)Out of your choices however, I would probably pick the Nissan...

But also, it would still just be a cavalier, and not a sexy vette...

"Why not get a Pontiac GTO? :)" ewwwwwwww, why not take the bus?

moose said:
Why not get a Pontiac GTO? :)

Out of your choices however, I would probably pick the Nissan...

The GTO is a bit too expensive. Base $31K

I think I'm probably going to be able to swing ~$25K or so.

Again... I don't have a job _yet_, so we'll see how much I end up making.

(You hear me all you HR people who are sitting on my resume?!? Call me back! Please?)

Acura RSX might be a fun little car, a bit underpowered though...Are you in debt at all right now?

If you want a fast sporty convertably have you considered these
Lotus Elise
or
mazda MX5
both fantastic cars to drive.

I already made a thread like this :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=77253

350z is a fast car, but the interior I found kinda crappy. The glove box is in the back and there is absolutely no space in the trunk: there is a roll-bar going right across from it. It's designed to fit a golf-club bag :rolleyes:

enigma said:
I think I'm probably going to be able to swing ~$25K or so.
The RX8 starts at about $26-something, I think. :!) http://www.autosypartes.com/images/galeria/high/Mazda-RX8.jpg [Broken]

http://www.reportmotori.it/Mazda%20Rx8%20Profilo%20-%20640.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does the expression "counting my chickens" mean?

The expression "counting my chickens" is a figurative phrase that means to plan or anticipate something before it has actually happened, often resulting in disappointment if the outcome is not as expected.

2. Is there a specific origin or history behind the phrase?

The phrase "counting my chickens" is believed to have originated from a fable by Aesop called "The Milkmaid and Her Pail." In the fable, a milkmaid dreams of all the things she will do with the profits from the milk she is carrying in a pail, but she ends up spilling the milk and losing her chance at riches. The moral of the fable is not to count your chickens before they hatch.

3. How is the phrase typically used in everyday conversation?

The phrase is often used as a cautionary reminder not to get too ahead of oneself and to focus on the present rather than the future. It can also be used in a lighthearted manner when someone is daydreaming or making grand plans but has not yet achieved their goals.

4. Are there any similar expressions to "counting my chickens"?

Yes, there are several similar expressions such as "don't put all your eggs in one basket" and "don't count your blessings before they hatch." These phrases all convey the idea of not being too confident or reliant on something before it has actually happened.

5. Can the phrase be used in a positive context?

While the phrase is often used in a cautionary or negative sense, it can also be used in a positive way. For example, someone may say "I'm counting my chickens" to express excitement and anticipation for a positive outcome in a situation. However, in general, the phrase is more commonly used as a warning against overly optimistic thinking.