Connect power supply to new video card?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over whether the nVidia 7600gt video card needs to be connected to the power supply. The individual mentions a friend's 6800xt which does require a connection, but the manual for the 7600gt does not mention it. Upon inspection of the card, it is determined that it does not have a connector for the power supply, indicating that it does not need to be connected.
Nothing000
I recently bought an nVidia 7600gt video card and I can't figure out if I am supposed to hook it up to the power supply or not. I have a friend that has the 6800xt and it does hook up to the PS. But nowhere in the manual does it say that this card should hook up to the PS.

Here is the card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150140

Computer science news on Phys.org
Look at it. Does it have a big connector on it for connection to the power supply? If not, it doesn't need to be connected to the power supply.

- Warren

I don't see a connection on it for a power supply. But I thought that most newer video cards require to be hooked up to a power supply. I guess mine doesn't though. Thanks.

1. How do I know if my power supply is compatible with my new video card?

It is important to check the power supply requirements of your new video card before connecting it. Most video cards will have a minimum power supply requirement listed in their specifications. You can also check the wattage of your power supply unit (PSU) and compare it to the minimum requirement. If your PSU meets or exceeds the requirement, it should be compatible.

2. Can I use a lower wattage power supply for my new video card?

It is not recommended to use a lower wattage power supply for your new video card. The video card requires a certain amount of power to function properly and using a lower wattage PSU may result in insufficient power supply and cause performance issues or even damage the card.

3. Do I need to use all the power connectors on my video card?

Most video cards will require at least one power connector, but some may require multiple depending on their power requirements. It is important to use all the required power connectors to ensure proper functioning of the video card.

4. How do I connect the power supply to my new video card?

Most modern video cards will have a dedicated power connector, usually a 6-pin or 8-pin connector, located on the top or side of the card. Make sure to consult the manual of your video card for the exact location of the power connector. Once located, simply plug the corresponding power connector from your PSU into the video card.

5. What if my power supply does not have the required power connectors for my new video card?

If your power supply does not have the required power connectors for your new video card, you may need to upgrade your PSU. Some video cards come with adapters that allow you to connect the required power connectors to your PSU. However, using adapters may not provide enough power for the video card and can cause performance issues. It is recommended to upgrade your PSU to ensure proper functioning of your new video card.