Finding Absolute Extreme Values of f(x)=2x^3-3x^2-12x+1 [-2,3]

• Thread starter Sethka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: For a more in-depth explanation I suggest looking into a calculus textbook or online resource.In summary, the extreme value theorem tells us that there are absolute extrema for certain continuous functions on a closed interval, and that they can be found by evaluating the derivative at certain points.
Sethka
Hey guys,

f(x)=2x^3-3x^2-12x+1 [-2,3]

I need to use the extreme value theorm to find the absolute extreme values of this function.

So far, I've got:

f'(x)=6x^2-6x-12=6(x^2-x-2)=6(x-2)(x+1)
x= 2,-1

Now what do I do? Please explain in a manner a non-math student can comprehend please.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sethka,

The extreme value theorem isn't used to find absolute extrema, rather it tells us that they exist for certain kinds of functions. More specifically it says that continuous functions defined on a closed interval have absolute extrema, but doesn't tell us anything about where they might be. Your function is continuous, as all polynomials are, and is defined on the closed interval [-2,3], so the extreme value theorem guarantees the existence of absolute extrema. This is important, cause you don't want to go and try and find extrema if there aren't any.

Ok, back to the problem. You have found the roots of the derivative of f, ie: values of x for which f'(x) = 0. These along with the endpoints of the interval [-2, 3] are the possible locations for the absolute extrema. What you do now is plug these points into f(x) and find which one makes f(x) the largest and the smallest. Those values of x are the locations of your maxima and minima respectively.

So in short your going to evaluate f(-1), f(2), f(-2), f(3). The largest of these is the absolute maximum, and the smallest is the minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Oh Wow Nocturnal! You've just helped me make sense of something I never really understood for the last two months! You're awesome! Thanks! My textbook sounds belligerent on the topic, so I skipped it and just never really learned it all this time.

Your welcome. You should also be aware that points in the domain of f, where f'(x) doesn't exist are also candidates for locations of extrema. Together all these points are referred to as "the critical numbers of f."

1. What is the purpose of finding absolute extreme values?

Finding the absolute extreme values of a function helps us determine the maximum and minimum points, which are important in analyzing and understanding the behavior of the function.

2. How do you find the absolute extreme values of a function?

To find the absolute extreme values of a function, we first take the derivative and set it equal to zero to find the critical points. Then, we evaluate the function at these critical points and the endpoints of the given interval. The highest and lowest values will be the absolute maximum and minimum values, respectively.

3. What is the difference between absolute and relative extreme values?

Absolute extreme values are the highest and lowest points of a function over a specific interval, while relative extreme values are the highest and lowest points within a smaller interval around a specific point. In other words, absolute extreme values are the overall maximum and minimum points, while relative extreme values are the local maximum and minimum points.

4. Can a function have more than one absolute extreme value?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute extreme values. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points within the given interval, or when the endpoints of the interval are also extreme values.

5. How can you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum, and if the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum.