Contrapostive Confusion: Resolving Necessary & Sufficient Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of contrapositive and necessary and sufficient conditions in solving logic problems. The definition of necessary and sufficient conditions follows the contrapositive form. There is also a discussion about the correct way to write a statement using the given conditions, with the conclusion that both ways are correct and the use of a name multiple times is not an issue.
mr_coffee
More logic fun! contrapostive confusion, book says one thing, and yet...:Resolved:.

Hello everyone!

I'm quite confused on this issue. The directions say:
Use the contrapositive to rewrite the statements in 45 and 46 in "if-then" form in two ways.

So i first look back to see what contrapositive means. The book says:
The contrapositive of a conditional statement of the form "if p then q" is
if ~q then ~p.
Symbolically, the contrapostive of p-->q is ~q--> ~p.

I then look at the problem. Problem 45 has the answer in the back of the book.

#45. Being divisble by 3 is a necessary condtion for this number to be dividble by 9.

answer:
If this number is not divisble by 3, then it is not divisible by 9.

If this number is divisble by 9, then it is divisble by 3.

When i look at this, it doesn't follow the contrapostive form, but instead follows Necessary and Sufficient Conditions.

if r and s are statements:
r is a necessary condtion for s, mans "if not r then not s."
r is a necessary conditon for s also means "if s then r."

Why did they say contrapostive if they are not using it?

I did #46 this way:
Doing homework regularly is a necessary condtion for Jim to pass the course.

#my answer:
If Jim does not do homework regulary, then he will not pass the course.

If Jim is to pass the course, then he must do homework regularly.

Do you think that is correct? or am I not allowed to use Jim twice?

Should it be:

If not doing homework regularythen he will not pass the course.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
answer:
If this number is not divisble by 3, then it is not divisible by 9.

If this number is divisble by 9, then it is divisble by 3.

When i look at this, it doesn't follow the contrapostive form, but instead follows Necessary and Sufficient Conditions.

if r and s are statements:
r is a necessary condtion for s, mans "if not r then not s."
r is a necessary conditon for s also means "if s then r."
They are using the contrapositive implicitly when they give this definition. "if not r then not s" is equivalent to--is the contrapositive of--"if s then r." The definition of necessary and sufficient conditions in your book follows the contrapositive.

If Jim does not do homework regulary, then he will not pass the course.

I would call this correct. It is a little informal with the way you use the terms "must," "will," and "does," but it gets the point across and blander language doesn't really sound right. The use of "Jim" isn't a problem. It's more grammatical than the alternative you mentioned, though if you said "If Jim is not doing homework regulary then he will not pass the course" that would also be correct.

Last edited:
Excellent! thanks again!

1. What is Contrapostive Confusion?

Contrapostive Confusion is a concept in logic that refers to the confusion between necessary and sufficient conditions in a statement. It occurs when someone mistakenly believes that a necessary condition is also a sufficient condition, or vice versa.

2. What is the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions?

A necessary condition is one that must be present in order for a statement to be true. It is necessary, but not always sufficient, for the statement to be true. A sufficient condition is one that, if present, guarantees the truth of the statement. It is sufficient, but not always necessary, for the statement to be true.

3. How can I avoid Contrapostive Confusion?

To avoid Contrapostive Confusion, it is important to clearly understand the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions in a statement. Remember that a necessary condition is not always sufficient, and a sufficient condition is not always necessary. It may also be helpful to practice identifying necessary and sufficient conditions in different statements.

4. Can Contrapostive Confusion affect scientific research?

Yes, Contrapostive Confusion can have an impact on scientific research if researchers mistakenly believe that a necessary condition is also a sufficient condition. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially hinder progress in a particular field.

5. How can we resolve Contrapostive Confusion?

To resolve Contrapostive Confusion, it is important to carefully analyze the conditions in a statement and determine whether they are necessary or sufficient. It may also be helpful to use visual aids, such as Venn diagrams, to better understand the relationship between the conditions. Consulting with experts or seeking additional resources can also aid in resolving Contrapostive Confusion.