Exploring the Science of Rubber Bands: The Force Behind Elasticity

In summary, the resistance felt when pulling on a rubber band is due to van der waals intermolecular forces, which are essentially electron forces. These forces are caused by the entangled structure of covalently bonded macromolecules in the rubber. The resistance does not come from the covalent bonds themselves, as they are too rigid for that. This was a serious question, and it was answered with a helpful and informative diagram.
pallidin
OK, maybe this is an odd question, but here goes:

When I pull on a rubber band, is the force I "feel" the resistance to co-valent bond separation? Am I actually "feeling" electron forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Covalent bonds are far, far too rigid for that.

The internal structure of the rubber is basically that of entangled 'fibres' of covalently bonded macromolecules, lying mostly side by side, attracted to each other by van der waals.

crappy Ascii diagram...

Code:
_!__/

The resistance you feel comes from the van der waals intermolecular forces. It is electron forces, in a way.

EDIT: You have no idea how long it took me to do that diagram above.

Last edited:
Originally posted by FZ+

The resistance you feel comes from the van der waals intermolecular forces. It is electron forces, in a way.

EDIT: You have no idea how long it took me to do that diagram above.

I appreciate your taking the time.
Above that, you have indicated that forces I feel are van der waals forces. Thank you. Perhaps a silly question but was presented in seriousness.

What is a rubber band?

A rubber band is a stretchy loop of rubber that is commonly used to hold objects together or to bind items. It is typically made of natural or synthetic rubber and comes in various sizes and colors.

How is a rubber band made?

Rubber bands are typically made by heating and mixing rubber with other chemicals to create a rubber compound. This compound is then extruded into long strands and cut into the desired length. The bands are then cured in an oven to strengthen them and prevent them from sticking together.

What are the different types of rubber bands?

There are several types of rubber bands, including natural rubber bands, which are made from latex, and synthetic rubber bands, which are made from various synthetic materials. There are also different sizes and thicknesses of rubber bands for different purposes.

What are rubber bands used for?

Rubber bands have many uses, including holding objects together, bundling items, securing items to surfaces, and providing tension in various applications. They are also commonly used in arts and crafts projects and in the office for organization purposes.

How do you store rubber bands?

Rubber bands should be stored in a cool, dry place to prevent them from drying out or becoming brittle. They should also be stored away from direct sunlight, as UV rays can damage rubber. It is also important to keep rubber bands away from chemicals and oils, as these can cause them to break down.