Formic acid and glycerin as dielectric substances

In summary: The most popular insulating gas. It is dense and rich in fluorine, which is a good discharge quencher. Good cooling properties. Excellent arc quenching.
norbert
Hello everybody
I have tried to obtain but I have not been successful the dielectric strength or breakdown voltage values of following materials...

these are: FORMIC ACID and GLYCERIN. (to room temperature)
I need to know these values...
thank you again.

Norbert

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you think that either of these exhibits any dieletric properties?

NoTime said:
Why would you think that either of these exhibits any dieletric properties?
Because they are not vacuum?

Gokul43201 said:
Because they are not vacuum?
What's up? :confused:
Last I checked, vacuum was a reasonable dielectric.

Wouldn't an acid be fairly conductive and generally not exhibit a breakdown voltge?

A theoretical vacuum is the only substance with a dielectric constant of 1, and hence is uninteresting.

Wouldn't an acid be fairly conductive and generally not exhibit a breakdown voltge?
In an aqueous solution, I'd imagine that's true. I thought the OP was talking about the pure, anhydrous compounds. But then, I can't think of a good reason for that info either.

Also, I'm not sure if dielectric breakdown is only defined for static (dc) voltages, because electrolytes have no equilibrium dc conductivity, so even in solution, this might be a relevant question...I just don't know.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
A theoretical vacuum is the only substance with a dielectric constant of 1, and hence is uninteresting.
Ok. The 1 is uninteresting cause that's by definition.
OTOH the fact that nothing has a dielectic constant is :smile:

substance, hmmmm :devil:

Gokul43201 said:
In an aqueous solution, I'd imagine that's true. I thought the OP was talking about the pure, anhydrous compounds. But then, I can't think of a good reason for that info either.

Also, I'm not sure if dielectric breakdown is only defined for static (dc) voltages, because electrolytes have no equilibrium dc conductivity, so even in solution, this might be a relevant question...I just don't know.

IIRC anhydrous formic acid is a gas at room temp and is highly reactive.
I suppose that if you had some material that it would not react with, that was also conductive, you might be able to test its dielectric value.
I'm thinking it might be quite a technical challenge.

Ok this solution is an organic acid, belong to carboxylic acid group
I suppose that its electrical properties are similar to components in this group.
Sure the breakdown voltage of it depends on the frequency its value falls with it.

Are you ending up with something like an electrolytic capacitor?

The electrolyte forms an oxide layer on the conductive surface.
The oxide layer providing both the breakdown voltage and dielectic value.

I have thought to do a complete catalog with the values of many compounds.
of course, the idea is to use after these values to industrial development
the physical condition should be following:
-applied frequency null (dc-voltage)
-room temperature
-normal atmosphere pressure (760mm Hg)
-the formic acid as an aqueous solutions (90%)
I need both dielectric strength value of formic acid and glycerin under same phys-chemical conditions

like an electrolytic capacitor, no really.
I´m working with very high dc voltage 50-60 KV at least
the problem is to store this amount of energy in a relatively small device without lost
certainly this is a technical challenge.

glycerin has a dielectric constant of 42.5 so if it's breakdown voltage is high as well it could be used in high voltage capacitors as an alternative to oil.

Pure water has been used in pulse capacitors. Using water allows the design of a very small high capacitance capacitor.
Google water capacitor and go to wikipedia.org

Abbarue said:
glycerin has a dielectric constant of 42.5 so if it's breakdown voltage is high as well it could be used in high voltage capacitors as an alternative to oil.
It's been over 4 years since the OP asked the question. Had I noticed it back then, I would have recommended a Dielectric gas like Sulfur hexafluoride.

The most popular insulating gas. It is dense and rich in fluorine, which is a good discharge quencher. Good cooling properties. Excellent arc quenching.

1. What is formic acid and glycerin?

Formic acid and glycerin are both organic compounds commonly used as dielectric substances in various industrial processes. Formic acid, also known as methanoic acid, is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor. Glycerin, also called glycerol, is a thick, clear, and odorless liquid.

2. How are formic acid and glycerin used as dielectric substances?

Formic acid and glycerin are used as dielectric substances in various applications, such as in the production of plastics, textiles, and cosmetics. They are also used as solvents and in the manufacturing of explosives and pharmaceuticals. In some cases, they are also used as a component in electrolytes for batteries.

3. What are the benefits of using formic acid and glycerin as dielectric substances?

Formic acid and glycerin have high dielectric constants, which means they can store and transmit electrical energy efficiently. They also have good thermal stability and low toxicity, making them safe to use in industrial processes. Additionally, they are readily available and cost-effective compared to other dielectric substances.

4. Are there any disadvantages of using formic acid and glycerin as dielectric substances?

One potential disadvantage of using formic acid and glycerin as dielectric substances is their tendency to absorb moisture, which can affect their dielectric properties. They also have a lower flash point compared to other dielectric substances, making them more flammable. As with any chemical substance, proper handling and safety precautions should be followed when using formic acid and glycerin.

5. Can formic acid and glycerin be used together as dielectric substances?

Yes, formic acid and glycerin can be used together as dielectric substances. In fact, their combined use can enhance the overall dielectric properties of a material. This is because formic acid has a high polarity, while glycerin has a high permittivity, and together they can increase the dielectric constant and improve the performance of the material as a dielectric substance.