Design of Mobile Crane - Find Free Data Sources

In summary: A crane is a very specific type of machinery, and it would be difficult to provide general design advice without more information.
machinest
hi guys
i would like to get data-or informations about the design of mobile cran components such as(hook,boom,wire rope drum and the wire rope)and more if it was allowed,i did a lot of google search and didnt find really what i wanted to get,we are designing a mobile crane its capacity is 20tons to lift,and drived by an internal combustion engine,and operator to drive it.
we r doing the calculation of each part(component)of the crane,we have followed the same way of design in a handbook its name is(material handling equipment),we designed the part of the hook and selected the suitable thrust bearing for it,and we got the safe dimensions of it.
we couldn't find any other source of data which can help us in the design other componets-so my ques is:
where can i find a free source of data about the design of cranes?
thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi machinest,
I'm not a crane expert by any stretch, but I had to do some work recently regarding them. Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but cranes are governed by various standards including ASME and OSHA. Design is primarily per ASME standards, depending on the type of crane:
1) ASME B30.2 - Overhead and Gantry Cranes (Top Running Bridge-Top Running Trolley)
2) ASME B30.11 - Monorails and Underhung Cranes
3) ASME B30.16 -Overhead Hoists (Underhung)
4) ASME B30.17 - Overhead and Gantry Cranes (Top Running Bridge, Single Girder, Underhung Hoist).

Cranes have to be inspected regularly per OSHA regulations. Hope that helps.

hi Q_GEAST
thanks for your answer,in fact what I am looking for is any informations or details about the design of mobile crane components,i did a lot of googles and couldn't find detailed information and calculations help in the design we do of a mobile crane which its capacity is 20tons to lift.
so-what I am looking for is (a website,pdf file,catalouge--etc) about mobile crane-which can give detailed information about the design of crane components-or at least information about a crane designed already such as a catalouge-i was asking if anybody know any source of it on the net.
thanks for all

hey-
anybody can help please?-still waiting your reply-
thanks

there are still lot many components in the crane. Can you tell me, hoisting height, no of falls, max angle of boom to normal, 360 deg rotation or partial ... Duty factor, class, etc are required.
In fact, what is your project. Is it college project in paper or industrial real work then fabrication of crane?
Accordingly I will propose some material to you. Do you use IS-Indian Standards?

thank u ramesh for your care to answer-
yes-,its really a college paper project,ill try to give u the dimensions u wanted-and give u information as much as i can so soon,but just all i wanted en example of any crane have been designed -i want to know the steps and calculations and factors-to be considered,to make a complete design of a mobile crane its capacity-is 20 tons to lift-
just wanted material to help,industrial or theoretically-but both have to be reliable.thanks again ,waiting ur help.

machinest said:
thank u ramesh for your care to answer-
yes-,its really a college paper project,ill try to give u the dimensions u wanted-and give u information as much as i can so soon,but just all i wanted en example of any crane have been designed -i want to know the steps and calculations and factors-to be considered,to make a complete design of a mobile crane its capacity-is 20 tons to lift-
just wanted material to help,industrial or theoretically-but both have to be reliable.thanks again ,waiting ur help.
I have worked in Gantry crane and Electric Overhead Travelling crane design for two years-10 years back. These data I can give you as ready made. It is in hard copy form. if softcopy I can directly mail you.

But mobile crane, yes I can give you procedure.

better you mail me on mailpramesh@gmail.com for furher detail.

hello everybody again-:)
im really still searching for the right material sourse to help me in my project of the complete design of the mobile crane-such as-(website,handbook,catalouge,-etc)even if not free.

hope to hear from you as soon as possible

Mr:Ramesh -wish i can get an email from you including that copy,so hope u can send soon.
thanks for any help.

Machinest, it sounds like you're asking for references for basic design principles, which can be applied to any machinery (including cranes).

How about you go to a library and read some books on basic machine design theory? There are hundreds of mechanical design handbooks out there. Use the ASME standards provided by Q_Goest to help guide your design.

But nobody here is going to be able to tell you exactly how you should design something as vague as a "mobile crane".

thank you brewnog for your reply,
well,i have already handbook for machine elements design and i know where can i get these kinds of books,but,
what I am looking for is a handbook which is already made for the material handling equipment design and its standards,i did find one its name is (material handling equipment) which had the design procedures of the crane components such as(hook,boom-etc)which you can't find in a machine design handbook,and that book didnt help enough in our project,we wanted more informations with the same way in this book,or another handbook of material handling design,or website would help to get info related to cranes with details,that what we are looking for really,cuase we are confused about some points and we want to make it right such as:

modeling of the crane drive.
boom design wasnt clear in this book and its not easy to design.
load chart.
and more -so just machine design handbook wasnt a good source to look into.
selection of bearings,gear box design,clutch design,frames,coupling-etc,was ok to do.
hope that would be more clear-:)-thanks for anyhelp-i really appreciate.

Hello machinest, I'm verry interested in how you managed to get on with your project.
I'm currently in the same situation, I have to design a small mobile crane for my final year college project. Which I am actually finding quite difficult since I don't know the first thing about cranes.
So far, I have managed to create a few design scetches using AutoCAD. I believe my next objective is to determine the sizes of the standard components which will be used in the crane, which can apparently be picked up off the shelves i.e: Rope Drum, Slew Ring, Hydraulic ram to extend Telescopic Jib and Hydraulic ram to raise jib / Luffing cylinder...
Anyways, I'm very interested, in seeing how you are going / did with your project.
I managed to get my hands of the British standards for mobile cranes, which I believe may interest you.
Hopefully we can help each other out.
Feel free to email me: Sanctescere@gmail.com

hi I'm new in this room, but it's better to use AS1418 standard. you can find some information about designing crane.

i have some design criteri about crane,
if you contact with me ,
i can help you, crane design.
we have manufacturer or designer all of crane...
uretimpark@hotmail.com

A 20 ton mobile crane is a very small crane. Much cheaper to buy than to build one properly. This sounds like a zip line thread that needs to be shut down for safety reasons.

1. What is a mobile crane and how does it work?

A mobile crane is a type of heavy equipment used for lifting and moving heavy objects. It consists of a boom, jib, and counterweights attached to a wheeled chassis. The boom can be raised or lowered using hydraulics, and the jib can be extended or retracted to reach different heights. The counterweights help balance the crane's load and prevent it from tipping over. The crane is controlled by an operator who uses various controls and levers to maneuver the crane and its load.

2. What are the different types of mobile cranes?

There are several types of mobile cranes, including rough terrain cranes, all-terrain cranes, truck-mounted cranes, and crawler cranes. Rough terrain cranes are designed for off-road use and have large tires to navigate uneven terrain. All-terrain cranes are versatile and can be used on both rough terrain and highways. Truck-mounted cranes are mounted on a truck and can be driven to different job sites. Crawler cranes have tracks instead of wheels and are used for heavy lifting on construction sites.

3. How is the lifting capacity of a mobile crane determined?

The lifting capacity of a mobile crane is determined by its maximum load moment, which is the product of the load weight and the distance from the center of rotation to the center of the load. This load moment is compared to the crane's rated load moment, which is the maximum load that the crane is designed to lift. Other factors that can affect the lifting capacity include the angle of the boom and the wind speed.

4. What are some important safety considerations when operating a mobile crane?

Safety is crucial when operating a mobile crane. The crane operator must be properly trained and certified to operate the crane. The ground surface must be stable and level to prevent the crane from tipping over. The crane must also be set up on firm ground and properly leveled. The load must be properly secured and within the crane's lifting capacity. Wind speed and other environmental factors must also be taken into account.

5. Where can I find free data sources for designing a mobile crane?

There are several websites and databases that provide free data sources for designing a mobile crane. Some examples include the National Construction Equipment Museum, the International Association of Engineers, and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Additionally, many manufacturers and engineering firms may have their own data and specifications available for free on their websites.