Finding the Volume of a Conic Section: Is There a Formula?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of liquid in a conic shaped tank with known dimensions and a partially filled liquid level. The solution involves using a volume integral over the region of interest as there is no closed form formula for this geometry. A graphical view of the problem is provided in an attached image.
jasbo11166
I would like to know if an equation exists for the volume of a section of a cone. For example, a conic shaped tank lying on its side with the point to the left and the circular base to the right is filled partially with liquid. The height of the liquid, volume of the cone, length of the cone and the base radius of the cone are known.

* ----------
* * |
* * |
* * |
* * R
* __________* ____ | __ liquid level
* * | |
* * h |
* ----------
|-------- H ---------|

How would you find the volume of the liquid in the tank?

Thank you,

Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
I appologize, but when the message was posted it removed all the spaces in the drawing I made. I hope you will be able to provide an answer with the text description.

Thanks,

Jim

See attached image for a graphical view of the problem.

Attachments

• cone.bmp
    86.6 KB · Views: 767
There is no closed form formula for this geometry, you will need to use a volumn integral over the region of interest.

What is a conic section?

A conic section is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane with a cone. It can take the shape of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola.

How is the volume of a conic section calculated?

The volume of a conic section can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

Can the volume of a conic section be negative?

No, the volume of a conic section cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space enclosed by the conic section.

What is the difference between the volume of a cone and the volume of a conic section?

The volume of a cone refers to the amount of space inside a three-dimensional cone shape, while the volume of a conic section refers to the amount of space inside a two-dimensional cross section of a cone.

How is the volume of a conic section used in real life?

The volume of a conic section is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It helps in the design and construction of structures and objects with cone-shaped components, such as traffic cones, lampshades, and ice cream cones.