What is the Power Spectrum of a Markov Chain?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of Markov chains and their application in learning and psychology. The speaker is struggling to understand the concept and is seeking help with finding the power spectrum and autocorrelation of a Markov chain.
seang
I'm reading the wikipedia article on them and I can't really get an understanding of what they are.

I'm writing a paper for psychology, and I keep coming across articles that say 'learning can be modeled with markov chains'

what does that mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sequence of state probability matrices...mathworld.com is your friend.

A Markov chain is a sequence of random variables where the distribution of a given state depends on the immediately preceding state, but not on what happened before then.

hi there
I'm trying to find the power spectrum of a markov chain which is the Fourier transform of it's autocorrelation. I'm having trouble with this if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
thanks

What is a Markov Chain?

A Markov Chain is a probabilistic model used to describe a sequence of events where the probability of each event depends only on the previous event.

How does a Markov Chain work?

A Markov Chain works by assigning probabilities to each possible event in a sequence based on the previous event. This allows for the prediction of future events based on the current state of the system.

What are some real-world applications of Markov Chains?

Markov Chains have been used in various fields such as finance, genetics, speech recognition, text prediction, and weather forecasting.

What are the limitations of Markov Chains?

Markov Chains assume that the future state of a system depends only on the current state, making it unable to account for long-term dependencies or external factors. Additionally, it can only be applied to systems with a finite set of possible states.

How is a Markov Chain different from other types of models?

Unlike other models that take into account historical data, Markov Chains only consider the current state, making it a memoryless model. It also differs from other probabilistic models in that it can only have one state at a time.