Calculating Angular Spread of Light in Glass Using Snell's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular spread of white light passing through a sheet of glass with indices of refraction for red and violet light. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using Snell's Law, with a focus on correcting a mistake in the equation involving the indices of refraction and the angle of refraction. The correct equation is given as theta2 = arc sin (n1 sin theta1)/n2, with n1 representing the index of refraction for air and n2 representing the index of refraction for the glass.
skinard360

Homework Statement

A sheet of glass has n_red=1.52 and n_violet=1.55. A narrow beam of white light is incident on the glass at 27.0 degrees
What is the angular spread of the light inside the glass?

Homework Equations

Snells Law: theta2 = arc sin (n1 sin theta1)/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried two ways of answering this question and neither has worked. First I made two equations: n1=red(1.51), theta1=27, n2=air(1.00)...then a second equation with n1=violet(1.55)...then subtracted the two thetas

My second attmept was to set n1=glass(1.5)...all else the same as above
Neither attempt was correct, can someone please help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Make two simple calculations, one for theta red, and one for theta blue, then subtract them. You must have made an arithmetic error. Are you using degrees or radians in your calculator ?

I tried it in degrees and got .014 but it was wrong :(

Are you dividing by n2 before taking the arcsin? (you should be)

i wasn't doing that, but once I tried it my answer was still wrong...here is exactly what I'm doing:

[arcsin (1.55 sin 27)/1.5] - [arcsin (1.52 sin 27)/1.5] = .587 degrees

I think I see what you are doing wrong.

This is the equation you had, and it's correct:

theta2 = arc sin (n1 sin theta1)/n2

but n1 is the index of refraction of AIR, since the light is incident on the glass (i.e. going from air into the glass). You are trying to find the angle of refraction. n2 should be either 1.55 or 1.52, depending on which wavelength you are considering. You have it flipped around in your calculation.

I don't understand why you would make n2=1.5 :confused:

you are right! thank you :)

1. What is the angular spread of light?

The angular spread of light is a measure of how much the direction of light rays deviates from a specific direction, such as the direction of the incident light. It is typically measured in degrees.

2. How is the angular spread of light related to the wavelength of light?

The angular spread of light is inversely proportional to the wavelength of light. This means that as the wavelength of light increases, the angular spread decreases.

3. What factors affect the angular spread of light?

The angular spread of light can be affected by the size and shape of the light source, the distance from the light source, and any obstructions or materials that the light passes through.

4. How is the angular spread of light calculated?

The angular spread of light is calculated by dividing the size of the light source by the distance from the light source. This value is then multiplied by the tangent of the angle of divergence.

5. Why is the angular spread of light important?

The angular spread of light is important because it determines how much light is spread over a given area. This can have practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and photography.