Identification of group 2 metal salts

In summary, The first experiment looked at salts with different cations and how they behaved when mixed with water. The second experiment looked at different salts and their effects on acidity. Both experiments found something inconclusive.
david18
Hi, I carried out a couple of experiments with unknown group 2 salts; X and Y

I added dilute NaOH to each of the salts which were now mixed with 1cm^3 of water; Y formed a precipitate (initially the solution was colourless as the solute had dissolved) whilst X turned colourless (X's solution was initially insoluble and was therefore a ppt before)
What conclusions could I draw from these observations? I think it might have something to do with Y having an ion that is insoluble when added to OH (ie Be and Mg) and vice versa... but I am not too sure...

Another test was adding AgNO3 + nitric acid, and in another I added BaCl2 - what could these show me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
david18 said:
Hi, I carried out a couple of experiments with unknown group 2 salts; X and Y

I added dilute NaOH to each of the salts which were now mixed with 1cm^3 of water; Y formed a precipitate (initially the solution was colourless as the solute had dissolved) whilst X turned colourless (X's solution was initially insoluble and was therefore a ppt before)
What conclusions could I draw from these observations? I think it might have something to do with Y having an ion that is insoluble when added to OH (ie Be and Mg) and vice versa... but I am not too sure...

Another test was adding AgNO3 + nitric acid, and in another I added BaCl2 - what could these show me?
Very difficult question with only these data.

1. X and Y are necessarily salts or can also be oxides/idroxydes?
2. group 2 include also 2b, that is Zn, Cd, Hg?
3. How dilute is NaOH? Can you specify better the concentration or the pH of the solution?

About substance X: an insoluble group 2 salt that dissolves with diluted NaOH, have I understood correctly?

Berillium idroxyde, carbonate, phosphate are insoluble but dissolves in high alcaline solutions ( not very diluted, then). The same with Zinc, for example.

About Y, there are many elements and many salts for every of those elements which dissolve in water and precipitates with OH-:

Mg (alogenides, nitrate, sulfate), Ca (alogenides, nitrate), Cd (alogenides, nitrate, sulfate), Hg (Hg(II) alogenides, nitrate).

Be and Zn precipitates with diluted sol. of OH- and re-dissolves in high con. of OH-.

AgNO3 will help you to find out if there are halide ions (chloride, iodide, bromide,..) in the salts X and Y.

BaCl2 will tell you if sulphate is present.

These two tests determine the anions.

the test with NaOH will help to distinguish the cation.
and i think Y is MgCl2 or MgSO4. you will know that when you test the anion. A white ppt. is formed when you add the Mg salt to NaOH.

This appears to be a school lab experiment. simple and easily available reagents are involved.

Last edited:
Kushal said:
i think X is BaSO4. BaSO4 is insoluble in water, but when you add NaOH, it dissolves.
I don't think so. Which should be the reaction?

o yeah, of course, X is NOT BaSO4, i will correct that right here. i think more information is required. sorry

1. What are group 2 metal salts?

Group 2 metal salts refer to compounds made up of elements from the second group of the periodic table, also known as the alkaline earth metals. These elements include beryllium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, barium, and radium.

2. How are group 2 metal salts identified?

Group 2 metal salts can be identified through various methods such as spectroscopy, chemical tests, and flame tests. These techniques involve analyzing the physical and chemical properties of the compound, such as its color, melting point, and reactivity.

3. What are some common uses of group 2 metal salts?

Group 2 metal salts have a wide range of applications in industries such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and construction. For example, calcium salts are used as a fertilizer, magnesium salts are used in antacids, and barium salts are used in X-ray contrast agents.

4. How do group 2 metal salts react with other substances?

Group 2 metal salts generally have a high reactivity due to their low ionization energies. They tend to react with non-metals, such as oxygen and halogens, to form ionic compounds. They can also react with water to form hydroxides and hydrogen gas.

5. What are the similarities and differences between group 1 and group 2 metal salts?

Both group 1 and group 2 metal salts are highly reactive and tend to form ionic compounds. However, group 2 metal salts have higher melting and boiling points and are generally harder and denser than group 1 metal salts. Additionally, group 2 metal salts are less reactive than group 1 metal salts due to their lower reactivity with water and oxygen.