Where Do the Knights Collide?

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two knights on horseback starting from rest 78.0 m apart and riding towards each other with different accelerations. Using the equation x= V(0)t+ (1/2)at^2, the time it takes for each knight to cross the distance is found to be 24.64 seconds for Sir George and 20.03 seconds for Sir Alfred. The equation for finding the collision point is given as the sum of the two accelerations, with George's position fixed. After using this equation, the collision point is determined to be 31.03 meters before the collision.
ian_durrant
[SOLVED] Acceleration/Velocity Problem

Homework Statement

In an historical movie, two knights on horseback start from rest 78.0 m apart and ride directly toward each other to do battle. Sir George's acceleration has a magnitude of 0.257 m/s2, while Sir Alfred's has a magnitude of 0.389 m/s2. Relative to Sir George's starting point, where do the knights collide?

Homework Equations

x= V(0)t+ (1/2)at^2

Average Acceleration

Average Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm first of having trouble finding out where to START in this problem. I decided the best move would to use x= V(0) + (1/2)at^2 to find out how long it would take the two horseback riders to cross all 78 m.

I got t= 24.64 seconds for George
and t= 20.03 seconds for Alfred

What I'm having trouble doing now is setting up an equation that would allow me to figureout when the two riders crashed into each other. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the relative accn between the two is the sum of the two accns. Keep George fixed.

ahhh good point. thanks to that hint i solved the problem- the answer was it took George 31.03 meters before the collision.

thanks a bunch

Last edited:

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are both important concepts in the study of motion. Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. In other words, acceleration describes how an object's velocity is changing over time.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What is a positive and negative acceleration?

A positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while a negative acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. This can also be referred to as acceleration and deceleration, respectively. The direction of the acceleration is determined by the direction of the change in velocity.

Can an object have a constant velocity and still have acceleration?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity and still have acceleration. This is because acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity is changing. If an object's velocity is constant, there is no change and therefore no acceleration.

How does mass affect acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its acceleration. According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a greater mass will result in a smaller acceleration.