How can the initial speed of the dart be determined using simple lab equipment?

• Thread starter blinkablink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a laboratory experiment where the initial speed of a dart fired from a gun is to be determined. The dart hits a wooden block of mass M0 and becomes embedded in it, causing the block to swing as a pendulum. The tension in the cord when the block returns to the lowest point of the swing is also to be determined. The conversation also suggests using additional equipment to find the speed of the dart, such as a stop watch and meter stick. The solution for part a) involves using energy equations, while part b) involves calculating centripetal force. Part c) discusses using the stop watch and meter stick to measure the speed of one of the blocks after a collision with the dart.
blinkablink
Problem
In a laboratory experiment, you wish to determine the initial speed of a dart just after it leaves a dart gun. The dart, of mass m, is fired with the gun very close to a wooden block of mass M0 which hangs from a cord of length l and negligible mass, as shown above. Assume the size of the block is negligible compared to l, and the dart is moving horizontally when it hits the left side of the block at its center and becomes embedded in it. The block swings up to a maximum angle from the vertical. Express your answers to the following in terms of m, M0, l, max, and g.
a. Determine the speed v0 of the dart immediately before it strikes the block.

b. The dart and block subsequently swing as a pendulum. Determine the tension in the cord when it returns to the lowest point of the swing.

c. At your lab table you have only the following additional equipment.

Meter stick Stopwatch Set of known masses
Protractor 5 m of string Five more blocks of mass M0
Spring

Without destroying or disassembling any of this equipment, design another practical method for determining the speed of the dart just after it leaves the gun. Indicate the measurements you would take, and how the speed could be determined from these measurements.

How I tried to solve:

a) Need help.
b) a=v^2/r is centripetal acceleration, multiply by mass for force. And I am now also confused, the problem suggest that the solution should use theta max, L, g, m, Mo. Now if centripetal accerleeration is taken into affect it should be FT = (m+Mo)g - Fc. Because centripetal force is in the same direction as force tension.

You can find Fc by using the maximum y height in potential energy formula, and transforming it into kinetic energy, then find the velocity.
With the velocity you can calculate Fc.
I got 2g(L-Lcos(theta))=v^2
(m+Mo)g - [(m+Mo)(2g(L-Lcos(theta)))]/L = Fnet
Not sure if that is right, I just learned this stuff.
c) Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been trying and I'm still not getting it.
Can someone confirm or reject if b is correct/incorrect please?

Part a) you can solve in terms of energy:

[tex]K_i = U_{gf}[/tex]

Letter b) seems right, but I'll have to check the actual calculations to be sure. You have the right idea though.

For part c) I would use the stop watch and meter stick to measure the speed of one of the blocks after a collision with the dart. That's just one way though. There are probably others.

1. What is AP Momentum/Energy Problem?

AP Momentum/Energy Problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the momentum and energy of a system in motion. It is commonly found in advanced placement (AP) physics classes and tests.

2. How do I approach solving an AP Momentum/Energy Problem?

The first step is to clearly define the system and identify all the relevant objects and their initial velocities. Then, use the principles of conservation of momentum and energy to set up equations and solve for the final velocities and energies of the objects.

3. What are the key equations for AP Momentum/Energy Problems?

The key equations for AP Momentum/Energy Problems are the conservation of momentum equation: pi = pf and the conservation of energy equation: Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf, where p is momentum, K is kinetic energy, and U is potential energy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving AP Momentum/Energy Problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly defining the system, not using the correct sign conventions for velocities and energies, and not considering all the objects and their interactions within the system.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving AP Momentum/Energy Problems?

The best way to practice and improve is to solve a variety of AP Momentum/Energy Problems from textbooks, online resources, and past AP exams. It is also helpful to review the concepts and equations related to momentum and energy, and to seek help from teachers or peers if needed.