Skin Whitening with L-Glutathione: Safety and Effectiveness Explained

• Medical
  • Thread starter karoloydi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L-glutathione as a substance for skin lightening. One person mentions that there are no reliable sources that mention its effectiveness for skin whitening and expresses concern about its safety. Another person shares their personal experience with using L-glutathione and recommends a different product for skin lightening. The conversation also brings up the possibility that the original poster may have been a spammer.
karoloydi
Has anyone heared about a a substance called l glutathione that is used for skin lightening?
like this one:
<Link Removed>
Does it work? And is it as safe as they say it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I made a quick search on this - there are no papers I can find from a reliable source that say anything about skin whitening an L-glutathione.

Barring someone finding real research I would say
1. Does it work? probably not very well or it has side effects or both. Some ads indicate it is a dermal cream, others have it in pill form. That doesn't bode well.

2. There is nothing I can see to indicate safety. L-glutathione is sold as a supplement since it is listed as having antioxidant properties. I assume, but do not know, that taking one 50mg pill with food may have no side effects. I personally would not take it.

The only article I could find suggests it would have the opposite effect (might be preventative of the damage to melanocytes that results in vitiligo).

Park ES, Kim SY, Na JI, Ryu HS, Youn SW, Kim DS, Yun HY, Park KC. Glutathione prevented dopamine-induced apoptosis of melanocytes and its signaling. J Dermatol Sci. 2007 Aug;47(2):141-9.

BACKGROUND: Dopamine (DA), a monoamine neurotransmitter, is a well-known neurotoxin and plays an etiologic role in neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's disease. DA exerts its toxic effect by generation of reactive oxygen species and quinone product. Vitiligo, a depigmentary disorder of the skin and hair characterized by selective destruction of melanocytes, has been reported to show increased levels of DA with onset and progression of the disease. OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study is to investigate the cytotoxic effect of DA on melanocytes and to search for protective antioxidants against DA-induced toxicity. In addition, molecular mechanism of cell death was also investigated. METHODS: Cells were treated with DA and cell viabilities were measured by crystal violet staining method. To investigate the cytoprotective activity of various antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E, Trolox, quercetin, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and l-glutathione (GSH) were used. To study cytoprotective effects of NAC and GSH, Mel-Ab cells and cultured normal human melanocytes were pretreated with NAC or GSH, then DA solution was added. DA-induced apoptosis and activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) were also observed by flow cytometric analysis and Western blotting. RESULTS: The viability of DA-treated Mel-Ab cells significantly decreased in a dose-dependent manner while keratinocytes were much more resistant to DA-toxicity, which was a consistent finding with the selective melanocyte loss observed in vitiligo. Among various antioxidants used in this study, only thiol-containing antioxidants such as NAC or GSH inhibited both JNK and p38 MAPK activation and apoptosis, indicating the unique protective capacity of thiol compounds. Cultured normal human melanocytes were also susceptible to DA and thiol compounds were very efficiently protective against DA-induced cytotoxicity. CONCLUSION: DA-induced apoptosis and cytoprotective effect of thiol compounds shown in this study could be a clue to understand pathogenesis of viltigo and provide a new therapeutic strategy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

But this is just an in vitro study, and certainly not a clinical trial of any sort to indicate any efficacy or safety of using it on the whole body.

jim mcnamara said:
Some ads indicate it is a dermal cream, others have it in pill form.

I ended up closing the tab before saving the link, but in my wanderings seeing if I could find anything credible on this, I came across one article that pointed out that while it is absorbed well when administered orally in rats, in humans there is an enzyme in the gut that breaks it down before it is absorbed, so a pill form would be useless.

I wonder if the OP wasn't some sort of sockpuppet spam...

It's very possible the OP is a spammer, which is why the link was removed.

- Warren

Just ask MJ! He he

I've read several reviews about L glutathione, many have tried it and said it worked for them. I also think it does work, but there are so many products sold over the counter that you can't even tell if it is really working or not. I also use a whitening cream called Neucell Skin Lightener, all natural ingredients that is really good for the skin, you might want to try it, it gave me wonderful results in evening out my skin tone, hope this helps you.

You are responding to someone that hasn't been here for 4 1/2 years.

1. What is skin whitening?

Skin whitening, also known as skin lightening or skin bleaching, is the process of using topical products or procedures to lighten the skin tone and reduce the amount of melanin, the pigment that gives skin its color.

2. Is skin whitening safe?

There are various techniques and products used for skin whitening, and their safety depends on the ingredients and method of application. Some methods, such as using natural ingredients like lemon juice or turmeric, are generally considered safe. However, other methods using harsh chemicals or invasive procedures may have potential risks and side effects. It is important to consult a dermatologist before attempting any skin whitening treatment.

3. Can skin whitening make me look younger?

Skin whitening does not necessarily make you look younger, as the process only affects the skin's color and not its texture. However, some skin whitening products may contain anti-aging ingredients that can improve the overall appearance of the skin.

4. How long does it take to see results from skin whitening?

The time it takes to see results from skin whitening varies depending on the method used and individual skin type. Some natural remedies may take longer to show results, while chemical-based products may show results faster. It is important to be patient and consistent with the chosen method to see the desired results.

5. Are there any alternatives to skin whitening?

Yes, there are alternatives to skin whitening such as using sunscreen to prevent tanning, exfoliating to remove dead skin cells and reveal brighter skin, and using makeup to temporarily lighten the skin tone. It is also important to embrace and love your natural skin tone and not feel pressured to conform to societal beauty standards.