2 questions on vector functions

In summary, the first question asks for parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve r(t) = (sin t)i + (t^2 - cos t)j + (e^t)k at t = 0. The solution involves finding the velocity equation, v(t), and plugging in t = 0 to get the point (0, -1, 1). The second question asks if the acceleration vector is always orthogonal to the velocity vector for the curve r(t) = (cos t)i + (sin t)j, for t >= 0. The answer is yes, as finding the dot product of the acceleration and velocity vectors will result in 0.
DWill

Homework Statement

1) Find parametric equations for the line that is tangent to r(t) = (sin t)i + (t^2 - cos t)j + (e^t)k at the parameter value t = 0.

2) For the equation r(t) = (cos t)i + (sin t)j and for t >= 0, is the particle's acceleration vector always orthogonal to its velocity vector?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) According to my text the tangent line to the curve r(t) = f(t)i + g(t)j + h(t)k is the line that passes through the point (f(t0), g(t0), h(t0)) parallel to v(t0), where t0 = 0 in this problem.
I solved the velocity equation v(t) = (cos t)i + (2t + sin t)j + (e^t)k, and v(0) = i + k.
This is the answer:
x = t, y = -1, z = 1+t
I found the point (f(0), g(0), t(0)) = (0, -1, 1), I'm not sure how to find the equation of a line that passes through this point and is parallel to another line? thanks

2) For this one I just want to make sure, to find where the acceleration vector is orthogonal to its velocity vector I find where their dot products equal 0, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of a line passing through a point x(0) with instantaneous velocity v(0) (i.e. tangent line) is x(0)+v(0)*t. And yes, orthogonal means dot product zero.

1. What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes in a single variable and outputs a vector. This means that the output of the function is a set of values that represent a magnitude and direction in space.

2. How is a vector function different from a regular function?

A regular function takes in a single variable and outputs a single value, while a vector function outputs a vector. This means that a vector function has multiple components, each of which is a function of the input variable.

3. How are vector functions used in science?

Vector functions are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful for representing physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force, which have both magnitude and direction.

4. How do you graph a vector function?

To graph a vector function, you plot the components of the vector as a function of the input variable on a coordinate plane. Each point on the graph represents a specific magnitude and direction in space.

5. What is the difference between a parametric equation and a vector function?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that describe the relationship between two or more variables. A vector function, on the other hand, is a single function that takes in a single variable and outputs a vector. In other words, a vector function can be represented as a parametric equation, but not all parametric equations are vector functions.