Exploring the Earth-Moon System: Answers to Your Questions

• Thread starter tianyi.tan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the moon does not fall and hit the earth because it is constantly falling towards the earth but also has a tangential velocity that keeps it in orbit. If the earth and moon were held at rest and released, the moon would fall towards the earth due to its lack of tangential velocity. To solve the problem of the fastest rate of rotation of a neutron star while maintaining matter on its surface, we use the concepts of centripetal acceleration and Newton's Law of Gravitation to calculate the required tangential velocity and the number of required revolutions per second.
tianyi.tan
Hello.. some stuff from my tutorial I'm confused about, pls help! thanks:)
1) Why does the moon not fall and hit the earth? Since both exert attractive forces on each other, there should be some kind of acceleration towards a common point.. ><
2)When the Earth and moon are held at rest at their present separation and released to move, would the moon orbit the earth? Or would it then fall to the earth?
3) "Despite its mass and size, a typical neutron star can rotate about its own axis at a high speed. What is the fastest rate of rotation of a neutron star such that matter still remains at its surface? Assume that the radius of the neutron star is 20.0km & its mass is 3.98 x 10^30kg." What concepts should I use to solve this problem? thanks :D:D

Physics news on Phys.org
1. They are constantly falling (being accelerated) toward each other. But they are also moving sideways wrt each other - fast enough that they never hit each other. That's what an orbit is.

2. If they had no tangential velocity, they would fall straight together like a ball dropped straight down from your hand. But they have a tangential velocity, like a ball thrown sideways with respect to the earth.

3. Are these homework? Did you learn about centripedal acceleration yet? There is an equation for it...

hi, thanks so much!
regarding (3), yupp I have learned about centripetal acceleration, but I'm not sure what they mean by the matter staying on the surface. Am I supposed to equate v2/r to the gravitational field strength? :S

tianyi.tan said:
Hello.. some stuff from my tutorial I'm confused about, pls help! thanks:)
1) Why does the moon not fall and hit the earth? Since both exert attractive forces on each other, there should be some kind of acceleration towards a common point.. ><
2)When the Earth and moon are held at rest at their present separation and released to move, would the moon orbit the earth? Or would it then fall to the earth?
3) "Despite its mass and size, a typical neutron star can rotate about its own axis at a high speed. What is the fastest rate of rotation of a neutron star such that matter still remains at its surface? Assume that the radius of the neutron star is 20.0km & its mass is 3.98 x 10^30kg." What concepts should I use to solve this problem? thanks :D:D

1. The force of attraction is perpendicular to the velocity of the moon's orbit - ie the moon is traveling tangential to the orbit, assuming a circular orbit. Thus there is no component of the force in the direction of motion. The force remains perpendicular to the motion as it moves so it simply changes the direction of the moon's motion. This is an example of uniform circular motion. The acceleration is always directed towards the centre of the Earth (approximately) no matter where the moon is.

2. In this case the moon would move straight towards the Earth because it does not have an initial motion perpendicular to the gravitational force.

3. We know
[tex]a=\frac{GM}{r}[/tex] (Newton's Law of Gravitation)

and [tex]a = \frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex] (centripetal acceleration)

thus

[tex]\frac{Gm}{r^{2}} = \frac{v^{2}}{r} [/tex]

[tex]v= \sqrt{\frac{Gm}{r}}[/tex] gives the tangential speed of the particles

[tex] = \sqrt{\frac{6.67e-11*3.98e30}{20e3}}[/tex]

[tex]= 1.152 *10^8 m/s[/tex]

This is the tangential speed of the outer particles, assuming the star's mass is concentrated at its centre.

Circumfrence [tex]= 2pir = 1.257 * 10^5m[/tex]

Thus [tex]1.152 *10^8/1.257 * 10^5 = 917[/tex] revolutions per second required.

Last edited:

1. How did the Earth and Moon form?

The Earth and Moon formed around 4.5 billion years ago from a giant impact between a Mars-sized object and the early Earth. This collision caused debris to be ejected into orbit around the Earth, eventually coalescing into the Moon.

2. What is the relationship between the Earth and Moon?

The Earth and Moon have a symbiotic relationship, with the Moon providing important roles such as stabilizing the Earth's rotation and creating ocean tides. The Moon also acts as a shield, protecting the Earth from cosmic impacts.

3. Is there water on the Moon?

Yes, there is water on the Moon, although it is in very small amounts. Most of the water is found in the form of ice in the permanently shadowed regions of the Moon's poles.

4. Can humans live on the Moon?

Currently, humans cannot live on the Moon for extended periods of time due to the lack of resources and harsh environment. However, there are plans to establish a sustainable human presence on the Moon in the near future.

5. How has the Moon been explored?

The Moon has been explored through various methods, including robotic missions, human missions, and remote sensing. The first human landing on the Moon was in 1969 during the Apollo 11 mission. Since then, there have been many other missions to study the Moon's surface and collect samples.