2 blocks, frictions, and no numbers

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, A and B, with masses mA and mB, respectively, and a coefficient of static friction μs between them. Block A is initially at rest on a horizontal floor while block B is on top of it. When a horizontal force F is applied to block A, it will start to slide out from under block B if the force is greater than μs(mA+mB)g. To solve this problem, the normal force on block A needs to be considered, which is equal to the weight of both blocks, mA+mB, times the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the correct answer is E.
musicfairy
Block A, with mass mA, is initially at rest on a horizontal floor. Block B, with mass mB, is initially at rest on the horizontal top surface of A. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is μs. Block A is pulled with a horizontal force. It begins to slide out from under B if the force is greater than:

A. mAg
B. mBg
C. μsmAg
D. μsmBg
E. μs(mA+mB)g

I came up with a couple of equations (that may not be right).

f = μmBg
f = F - mAaA

So I tried substitution and solving for F, but I can't get the right answer (E).
So what's the right way to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for frictional force is the coefficient of friction times the normal force. What is the normal force on block A?

It would be mBg, I guess.

Really? Draw a free body diagram.

Don't forget that block B is sitting on top of block A.

I did.

I have force F acting on mA.
mAg is directed down
mBg is directed down, and then up as a normal force
friction is in opposite direction of the 2 blocks

What am I doing wrong here? =(

The problem is that block A has block B on top of it. That means that the weight of block A is (Ma + Mb)g. What that means is that since block A is not accelerating down, it's normal force must be the same as the weight. Now do you understand?

Ok, I see now. So E says that F = μNA
But what does that mean? I thought friction is supposed to be the same for both blocks in this problem. This is getting more confusing.

The coefficient of friction is the same. The frictional force depends upon the normal force though. Because A has a greater normal force than B, it would produce a greater frictional force.

I see. Thanks for the explanations. Now I really need to study hard for that test.

No problem :) Glad I could help. Good luck!

1. What is the concept of "2 blocks, frictions, and no numbers"?

The concept of "2 blocks, frictions, and no numbers" is a hypothetical scenario where two blocks of different masses are placed next to each other on a surface with friction, but without any numerical values given for their masses or the coefficient of friction.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction in this scenario?

In this scenario, the force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = µN, where µ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. Since there are no numerical values given, the force of friction cannot be calculated accurately.

3. What is the relationship between the two blocks in this scenario?

The two blocks in this scenario are in contact with each other, which means that they are exerting forces on each other. The force of friction between the blocks is dependent on the normal force between them, and the direction of the force of friction is opposite to the direction of motion.

4. Does the mass of the blocks affect the force of friction in this scenario?

Yes, the mass of the blocks does affect the force of friction in this scenario. The heavier the blocks, the greater the normal force between them, which results in a larger force of friction. However, without any numerical values given, it is not possible to determine the exact relationship between the mass and force of friction.

5. Can the blocks move in this scenario?

Yes, the blocks can move in this scenario. The force of friction only acts to resist the motion of the blocks, so if a force is applied to one of the blocks, it can overcome the force of friction and cause the blocks to move. However, without any numerical values given, the exact motion of the blocks cannot be determined.