Parallel and Series Homework: Calculating Voltages and Charges

In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit and how to correctly calculate the voltages and charges on each capacitor. The participants clarify the parallel and series connections of the capacitors and suggest a systematic approach for solving the circuit.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16108&d=1225153001

Ok this should be an easy one. I am trying to calculate voltages and charges on each capaciter. But first I want to make sure I understand the picture correctly, because soemthing isn't matching

c1 and c5 are parallell to each other. c3 and c4 are parallel to each other. then c15, c2, and c34 are in series with each other?
please correct me if I'm wrong. thanks

Attachments

• capaciter.JPG
    capaciter.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to do is systematically replace unambiguous examples of parallel or series connections with their equivalent, then reexamine the circuit and do it again, repeating the process until done.

For example, c1 and c5 are not really in parallel, since the other capacitors are connected between them. But C3 and c4 are definitely in series, since they are directly connected. Start there.

o wait a minute. so C3 and c4 are in series. then c34 is parallel to c2. then c1 is in series with c234 which is in series with c 5
ok I am gunna try this out and see if i get the right answer, thanks

Now you're cooking. :wink:

1. What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

Parallel circuits have multiple branches for the current to flow through, while series circuits have only one path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each branch is the same, while in a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components.

2. How do you calculate the voltage in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch, so you can use this formula for each branch to find the total voltage.

3. How do you calculate the voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, you can calculate the total voltage by adding up the voltage drops across each component. This can be done using the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. The voltage drop across each component can be found by multiplying the current by the resistance of that component.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel connections when it comes to voltage and current?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit, while the voltage is divided among the components. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant, but the current is divided among the branches. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of the resistances of each component, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How do you calculate the total charge in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total charge is the same throughout the circuit, and can be found by multiplying the current by the total time that the circuit is active. In a parallel circuit, the total charge is the sum of the charges in each branch, which can be found by multiplying the current in that branch by the time that branch is active.