How to choose grad school for aerospace/mechanical engineering?

In summary, it seems that the best way to go about selecting which schools to apply to is to consider a variety of factors, including the professor's research interests, your academic goals, and the cost of the school.
yllihp
I will complete my bachelors in physics next year, and plan to do a masters in either aerospace or mechanical engineering afterwards.

But how do I go about selecting which schools to apply to?

I’ve read advice such as applying to schools whose professors do research in a specific area that I would want to write my thesis on.

But this advice seems flawed to me. My problems with this advice are:

- What if the professor I wanted to work for leaves, or turns out be an unhelpful tutor, or some other unforeseen circumstance occurs?

- I have never studied aerospace mechanical engineering before. So how I am supposed to know what specific area I would want to write my thesis on? How am I supposed to be choose between for example, computational fluid dynamics and aerospace design? I could guess which specific field I’d be interested in, but I might change my mind later.

- I’m planning to do just a masters rather than a phd, so I think research won’t be as important anyway. Also, writing a thesis seems to be optional for masters students in most schools I’ve looked at.

So should I even bother trying to figure out which specific field I’d be most interested in, and trying to base my choice of schools on this?

Apart from factors like location, cost, etc., what other criteria should I use to choose which schools to apply to?

Physics news on Phys.org
yllihp said:
- What if the professor I wanted to work for leaves, or turns out be an unhelpful tutor, or some other unforeseen circumstance occurs?

- I have never studied aerospace mechanical engineering before. So how I am supposed to know what specific area I would want to write my thesis on? How am I supposed to be choose between for example, computational fluid dynamics and aerospace design? I could guess which specific field I’d be interested in, but I might change my mind later.

1. How do you expect anyone to see these unforeseen occurrences for you?

2. So why do you want to do a masters in AE if you don't know what you want to do in it. Everyone knows a masters is pretty specific and not broad at all.

If what you want to do in AE is so vague (or the choice is non-existent) then a) ask yourself why you wanted to do it in the first place. b) re-evaluate your academic/career goals.

Well I know I want a career in either aerospace/mechanical engineering. However, it seems difficult to find an engineering job with a bachelors in physics, which is why I want to do a masters in aerospace/mechanical engineering.

Because of my lack of experience in engineering, I guess I should be going for a bachelors in aerospace/mechanical engineering rather than a masters.

But rather than dropping out of my physics bachelors program, and starting an aerospace/mechanical engineering bachelors program from scratch, wouldn’t it be better to finish my physics bachelors and then going for a masters in aerospace/mechanical engineering?

i'm in the same position as OP since I'm a physics major considering mechanical engineering for grad school, so i wouldn't know either

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a grad school for aerospace/mechanical engineering?

When choosing a grad school for aerospace/mechanical engineering, some important factors to consider include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, and cost/tuition. It's important to find a program that aligns with your career goals and offers a strong curriculum in your specific area of interest.

2. Should I prioritize a program with a strong research focus or one with a more practical approach?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, a program with a strong research focus may be the best fit for you. However, if you are more interested in applying your engineering skills in a practical setting, a program with a more hands-on approach may be a better fit.

3. Is it important to consider the faculty and their research interests when choosing a grad school?

Yes, it is important to consider the faculty and their research interests when choosing a grad school. The faculty will play a significant role in your education and research opportunities, so it's important to find a program with faculty who have expertise in your area of interest.

4. Should I consider the location of the grad school?

The location of the grad school is an important factor to consider. You should think about whether you prefer a more urban or rural setting, the cost of living in the area, and any potential networking or job opportunities in the surrounding area. It's also important to consider if the location has a strong aerospace/mechanical engineering industry presence.

5. How important is the program's accreditation when choosing a grad school for aerospace/mechanical engineering?

The program's accreditation is extremely important when choosing a grad school for aerospace/mechanical engineering. Accreditation ensures that the program meets certain standards of quality and will provide you with a valuable education. Additionally, many employers may prefer or require graduates from an accredited program. Be sure to research the accreditation status of any program you are considering.