Integrating a quadratic funtion raised to m/n

In summary, the integrand to the integrand does not converge to zero, so simple substitutions may not be enough to solve the problem. The function to be integrated does not even converge to zero as x-> +/- infinity...!, so a table of integrals may be the best solution.
mdnazmulh
I couldn't figure out what to do with this type of integration [tex]\int (a x^{2}+ bx +c) ^{\frac{m}{n}}dx[/tex] here m, n are integer numbers. Integration limit -∞ to +∞.
Will Binomial expansion work?
Please give me some clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that these integrals converge? The function to be integrated does not even converge to zero as x-> +/- infinity...!

Actually I had to solve an integral [tex]\int(z^{2} -8z + 36)^\frac{-3}{2} dz [/tex] limit - infinity to + infinity in a physics problem. dz is the differential length of a conducting wire extending from -infinity to + infinity.
Can you please help me how can I solve above integral?

Well, the easiest way is probably to look it up it an table of integrals:smile:

Wikipedia states that
826cfb9c30857b16d144b1b5b4c7cc04.png

where s is the square root of x^2-a^2...taking m=0, n=1 should help you.maybe that is not the bsst way to go.

I rather suggest the following; use simple substitutions to reduce the integrand to
[tex]
(x^2+1)^{-3/2}
[/tex]

then use [itex]x=\sinh(z)[/itex] to obtain
[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{\frac{dz}{\cosh(z)^2}}
[/tex]

Once you have that, we can think about the next steps:smile:

Last edited:
you gave me a good idea to look it up in integral table. I found one http://www.integral-table.com/

I found quite similar integral in no. 40 in the table's list ( sorry it's quite difficult to write that integral along with its result here) . But How can I obtain that result?

have you simplified your integral to something which looks similar to
[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{\frac{dz}{\cosh(z)^2}}
[/tex]

?

I'm puzzled at the substitution method u suggested. 1st would I let,
z^2- 8 z + 36 = u
2z -8 =du/dz
but dz = du/ (2z-8)
see there's a 'z' in the denominator on right hand side. So, letting z^2- 8 z + 36 = u won't work. What I can do now?

Well...x^2-8x+36 = (x-4)^2+20

thus your first substitution would be

y = x-4.

then

w = y/sqrt(20)

and finally

sinh(z)= w.

yeah. Thank u so much . Now I think I can manage the rest of the things.

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial function and its graph is a parabola.

2. What does it mean to "integrate" a quadratic function raised to m/n?

Integrating a quadratic function raised to m/n means finding the antiderivative of the function, or the original function that would give the given quadratic function when differentiated. It is also known as finding the indefinite integral of the function.

3. How do you integrate a quadratic function raised to m/n?

To integrate a quadratic function raised to m/n, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of xn is equal to xn+1/n+1 + C, where C is the constant of integration. Simply apply this rule to each term of the quadratic function and then add the resulting terms together.

4. What is the purpose of integrating a quadratic function raised to m/n?

Integrating a quadratic function raised to m/n can have many applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to find the area under a curve, which has many real-life applications such as calculating volumes and distances. It is also used in physics to calculate work, energy, and other quantities.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating a quadratic function raised to m/n?

Yes, there are a few special cases when integrating a quadratic function raised to m/n. If the function has a constant term, the integral will include a constant of integration. If the function has a coefficient other than 1 in front of x2, the integral will include a change in the exponent. Also, if the function has a negative exponent, the integral will involve using the power rule in reverse.