Trouble understanding a derivative used in Hermite curve reparameterization

In summary, the conversation discusses the reparameterization of a Hermite curve from \vec{P}(t) to \vec{Q}(T) where T = at + b and the difficulty in finding the derivative of the reparameterized curve. The conversation also mentions the equation \frac{d\textbf{Q}(T)}{dT} = \frac{d\textbf{P}(t)}{dt} \frac{dt}{dT} and the use of the chain rule to arrive at this derivative. More clarification may be provided as needed.
pcap
Hello,

I am trying to understand how to reparameterize a Hermite curve described by the parametric vector function [itex]\vec{P}(t)[/itex] to a curve described by [tex]\vec{Q}(T)[/tex] where [tex]T = at + b[/tex]. In particular, I am having trouble finding the derivative of the reparameterized curve.

We know [tex]T_i = at_{i} + b[/tex] and [tex]T_j = at_j + b[/tex]. We also know, [tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = a[/tex].

The http://books.google.com/books?id=m0...#v=onepage&q=hermite curve parameter&f=false" I am looking at arrives at the following equation:

[tex]\frac{d\textbf{Q}(T)}{dT} = \frac{d\textbf{P}(t)}{dt} \frac{dt}{dT}[/tex]

I do not understand how they arrived at this derivative, so I would appreciate any insight into this.

My thinking is a bit foggy now, so hopefully some rest will help. At any rate, I can provide more clarification as needed. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks to me like it is just the chain rule!

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It measures how much a function's output changes when its input changes.

What is the purpose of using derivatives in Hermite curve reparameterization?

In Hermite curve reparameterization, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a curve at different points. This information is crucial for creating a smooth and accurate curve.

How do you calculate a derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit of the difference quotient. This involves taking the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the line get closer and closer together. Alternatively, the derivative can also be calculated using the rules of differentiation.

What is the relationship between the derivative and the slope of a curve?

The derivative of a function at a specific point represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to find the slope of a curve at any point.

How is a derivative used to reparameterize a Hermite curve?

In Hermite curve reparameterization, the derivatives of the curve are used to calculate the parameter values at each point. This allows for a more precise and accurate representation of the curve, as the parameter values can be adjusted to create a smoother curve with evenly spaced points.