Thin Film Laboratory resources

In summary, the conversation revolves around seeking assistance from doctoral researchers in the sub-domain of thin films. The requests include a standard reference book for both introductory and advanced topics, lab projects for undergraduate and postgraduate students, a comprehensive list of equipment and resources for setting up a thin-films laboratory, recommendations for leading academic and corporate labs, and advice from practitioners who have experience in setting up such labs. However, the respondent suggests that there is no standard lab setup for thin film technologies and recommends a textbook for a broad overview of concepts in thin films.
NSK8700
Friends,seeking some doctoral Researchers in the sub-domain of thin-films,I would want
the following assistance from any of them: (1)A Standard Reference Book that addresses
introductory (Post Grad.) and advanced (PhD) topics in thin Films.(2) Some standard Lab
projects that has been conceptualized in Thin films for UnderGrad's & PostGrad's (4) a
Comprehensive list of Equipments/Instruments and pertinent accessories/ resources towards
setting up a modern thin-films laboratory.(5) Leading Academic and Corporate labs on
thin-films who are lead with cutting edge thought leadership in this area (6) Possible
manufacturing suppliers of the laboratory instrumentation and pertinent inter-disciplinary
apparatus in the context of (2) aforesaid. (7) Advise from practitioners who have already
set-up such Thin-film labs for research/small production environs.[I understand that this is
an exhaustive resource request,however,respondents may limit themselves to their domain
of expertise]

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'd suggest that even within the 'sub-field' of thin film technologies, that there is no 'standard lab setup with standardized equipment'--this ranges from multimillion dollar controlled clean rooms doing everything from CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposition) and ALD (Atomic Layer Deposition) to a fumehood and some beakers doing electrodeposition or Self-Assembled Monolayers.

The textbook I used in my graduate intro vacuum science course was by Milton Ohring Materials Science of Thin Films, Second Edition. Good, broad overview of many of the concepts encountered in thin films.

You may need to learn to walk a little before running!

Thanks !

1. What types of equipment are typically found in a Thin Film Laboratory?

A Thin Film Laboratory typically contains equipment such as sputtering systems, thermal evaporators, chemical vapor deposition (CVD) systems, atomic layer deposition (ALD) systems, and characterization tools such as ellipsometers and scanning electron microscopes (SEM).

2. What materials can be used to create thin films?

Thin films can be made from a variety of materials including metals, semiconductors, oxides, polymers, and organic materials. The type of material used depends on the desired properties and applications of the thin film.

3. How are thin films deposited onto substrates?

Thin films can be deposited onto substrates through various techniques such as physical vapor deposition (PVD), chemical vapor deposition (CVD), and atomic layer deposition (ALD). These techniques involve heating and/or bombarding the material with ions or gases to create a thin film layer on the substrate.

4. What are the applications of thin films?

Thin films have a wide range of applications in various industries such as electronics, optical coatings, photovoltaics, medical devices, and sensors. They are used to improve the performance and functionality of products by providing unique properties such as conductivity, reflectivity, and barrier protection.

5. How can I use thin film laboratory resources for my research?

If you are conducting research that involves thin films, a Thin Film Laboratory can provide you with the necessary equipment and expertise to deposit and characterize thin films. You can also collaborate with researchers in the lab and access specialized tools and techniques to advance your research.