What is the Limit of the abc-Formula as a approaches 0?

• Thread starter suyver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the solutions to two equations, one with a limiting case of a approaching 0 and the other with a restriction of c not equaling 0. The conversation also considers the validity of a step in the solution process and the convergence of different expressions depending on the sign of b."
suyver
I was wondering something that is so simple that it baffled me...

When I have the equation
[tex]a x^2+b x+c=0[/tex]
this obviously has the solutions
[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

And when I have the equation
[tex]b x+c=0[/tex]
this has the solution
[tex]x=\frac{-c}{b}[/tex]

My problem now is the limiting case [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex] in the upper situation:
[tex]\lim_{a\rightarrow 0}\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\rightarrow -\infty\neq\frac{-c}{b}[/tex]

So what's wrong here? Why does this limit not exist?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The limit does exist.

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot \frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{b^2-(b^2-4ac)}{2a(-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which goes to [tex]\frac{-c}{b}[/tex] when a goes to zero. The same goes for the other square root.

Last edited:
But for the other root, I get:

[tex]\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot \frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}=[/tex]

[tex]\frac{b^2-(b^2-4ac)}{2a(-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which seems ok... but I don't think it is! After all, I multiply by

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which is [itex]0/0[/itex] in the case when [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex], and that's not allowed

So I don't think you can do this:

[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} \rightarrow \frac{2c}{-b\mp \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:
One root goes to -c/b. The other root becomes infinite. Which is which depends on the sign of b, since the square root goes to |b| as a goes to 0.

OK, that makes sense. I had originally expected that both roots would converge to -c/b, but now that I think about it, it seems clear that the fact that b can be negative (so that I cannot just say [itex]\sqrt{b^2}=b[/itex]) will spoil this. Oh well... too bad (for what I wanted).

suyver said:
After all, I multiply by

[tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]

which is [itex]0/0[/itex] in the case when [itex]a\rightarrow 0[/itex], and that's not allowed

Well, since [tex]\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]
can only be zero when [itex]ac=0[/itex] this step is perfectly valid. We may assume [itex]a\neq 0[/itex] when calculating the limit. So that leaves [itex]c\neq 0[/itex] as a restriction. Although it would still be allowed when b is negative.

[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} \rightarrow \frac{2c}{-b\mp \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}[/tex]
Right?

This expression is correct, but you have to take cases. If b is positive, then you'll find the expression with the negative sign to converge to [itex]\frac{-c}{b}[/itex], if b is negative the expression with the positive sign converges to [itex]\frac{-c}{b}[/itex]

What is the limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0?

The limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0 is undefined. This is because the formula involves dividing by a, and when a is 0, division by 0 is undefined.

Why is the limit of the abc-formula undefined when a approaches 0?

The limit is undefined because division by 0 is undefined in mathematics. This is a fundamental rule that cannot be broken.

Can the abc-formula be used when a is equal to 0?

No, the abc-formula cannot be used when a is equal to 0. As mentioned before, division by 0 is undefined and therefore the formula cannot be used in this case.

Is there a way to determine the limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0?

No, there is no way to determine the limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0. As it is undefined, there is no numerical value that can be assigned to the limit.

Are there any alternative methods for finding the limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0?

No, there are no alternative methods for finding the limit of the abc-formula when a approaches 0. As division by 0 is undefined, the limit cannot be determined using any other mathematical techniques.