Question about Crohn's Disease

• Medical
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary: Try a fruit based diet coupled with fish oil and focus on foods deemed anti-inflammatory like blueberries. Also have your Vitamin D checked.Compared to how life was before I adopted this regime I'd say my symptoms are about 80% less. Some claim to be symptom free going this route. Not cured though, just held in remission.We do not allow recommendations for treatments/diet that are anecdotal.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
First, I understand that I can't ask for medical advice about diagnosis here. I had a colonoscopy yesterday :yuck: and my doctor wants to run additional tests for this disease. I am scheduling an appointment after the biopsy results come back to discuss it with her further before agreeing to any additional tests. So, no, I'm not asking for advice.

I would like to ask what the current state of understanding of this disease is so that I can go into my next appointment fully informed. I don't have a medical background and want to make sure that I don't end up reading any junk science articles about this. I did a search on PF and didn't see anything. Any links to respected journals would especially be welcome. I have read the Wikipedia article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn%27s_disease" .

I read both Stickys for the Medical Sciences Forum and I hope that this stayed within the forum guidelines. Moonbear and Monique, I promise not to answer any questions specific to myself unless one of you two asks for the purpose of narrowing the links. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.ccfa.org/living/?LMI=1

This is a really good foundation. If you do have Crohn's Disease, please feel free to contact me in our messaging system here. I can tell you, first hand about living with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ulcerative colitis, a condition that's related enough to be hard to distinguish from Crohn's.

I've found doctors to be only moderately useful. The fact that UC is viewed as idiopathic is telling. The only solution that they offer is drugs and I've been told explicitly several times that diet makes no difference. It does.

Try a fruit based diet coupled with fish oil and focus on foods deemed anti-inflammatory like blueberries. Also have your Vitamin D checked.

Compared to how life was before I adopted this regime I'd say my symptoms are about 80% less. Some claim to be symptom free going this route. Not cured though, just held in remission.

dixonpete said:
I have ulcerative colitis, a condition that's related enough to be hard to distinguish from Crohn's.

I've found doctors to be only moderately useful. The fact that UC is viewed as idiopathic is telling. The only solution that they offer is drugs and I've been told explicitly several times that diet makes no difference. It does.

Try a fruit based diet coupled with fish oil and focus on foods deemed anti-inflammatory like blueberries. Also have your Vitamin D checked.

Compared to how life was before I adopted this regime I'd say my symptoms are about 80% less. Some claim to be symptom free going this route. Not cured though, just held in remission.
We do not allow recommendations for treatments/diet that are anecdotal.

There is no official stance on diet for Crohn's.

Can diet control Crohn’s disease?

People with Crohn’s disease often experience a decrease in appetite, which can affect their ability to receive the daily nutrition needed for good health and healing. In addition, Crohn’s disease is associated with diarrhea and poor absorption of necessary nutrients. No special diet has been proven effective for preventing or treating Crohn’s disease, but it is very important that people who have Crohn’s disease follow a nutritious diet and avoid any foods that seem to worsen symptoms. There are no consistent dietary rules to follow that will improve a person’s symptoms.

People should take vitamin supplements only on their doctor’s advice.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/#diet

Last edited:
Note that this is a science forum, personal accounts do not constitute evidence for treatment.

What is Crohn's Disease?

Crohn's Disease is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that affects the lining of the digestive tract. It is characterized by inflammation, swelling, and irritation, leading to symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight loss.

What are the causes of Crohn's Disease?

The exact cause of Crohn's Disease is not known, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic, environmental, and immune system factors. Certain triggers such as stress, diet, and smoking may also play a role in the development of the disease.

What are the symptoms of Crohn's Disease?

The most common symptoms of Crohn's Disease include persistent diarrhea, abdominal pain, weight loss, fatigue, and rectal bleeding. Other symptoms may include fever, loss of appetite, and joint pain.

How is Crohn's Disease diagnosed?

Crohn's Disease can be diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical examination, blood tests, stool tests, and imaging tests such as colonoscopy and MRI. Your doctor may also perform a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

What are the treatment options for Crohn's Disease?

Treatment for Crohn's Disease may include medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs, immune system suppressors, antibiotics, and biologic therapies. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove damaged portions of the digestive tract. Lifestyle changes, such as following a healthy diet and managing stress, can also help manage symptoms.