Deriving Geodesic Deviation - Help Appreciated

STRACT: The individual is seeking assistance in understanding the derivation of geodesic deviation and why x(t)+\chi(t) follows the geodesic equation. They inquire if \chi(t) is negligible and does not affect the geodesic nature of x(t). However, according to the paper, x(\tau)+\chi(\tau) is said to be on a nearby geodesic at the same proper time, regardless of the size of \chi(\tau).
Isa1
Hi there,

I'm trying to understand the derivation of geodesic deviation given here:

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/500/512494/supplements/Ch21.pdf

but I can't figure out why x(t)+\chi(t) obeys the geodesic equation (eq.(7)). Of course x(t) does, since it is per definition a geodesic. Could it be that \chi(t) is so small that it is negligible and doesn't change the geodesic character of x(t)?

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isa1 said:
Hi there,

I'm trying to understand the derivation of geodesic deviation given here:

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/500/512494/supplements/Ch21.pdf

but I can't figure out why x(t)+\chi(t) obeys the geodesic equation (eq.(7)). Of course x(t) does, since it is per definition a geodesic. Could it be that \chi(t) is so small that it is negligible and doesn't change the geodesic character of x(t)?

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

It is because the point [tex]x(\tau)+\chi(\tau)[/tex] is in the beginning of the paper said to be on a nearby geodesic at the same proper time so no matter if [tex]\chi(\tau)[/tex] is small!

AB

1. What is geodesic deviation?

Geodesic deviation is a measure of the separation between two nearby geodesics, or the paths that objects follow in curved space-time. It is used to study the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time on the motion of objects.

2. How is geodesic deviation derived?

Geodesic deviation is derived using the geodesic equation, which describes the paths that objects follow in curved space-time. By solving this equation for small changes in initial conditions, we can determine the amount of deviation between two nearby geodesics.

3. What is the importance of studying geodesic deviation?

Studying geodesic deviation allows us to understand the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time on the motion of objects in our universe. It also has practical applications, such as predicting the orbits of satellites and spacecraft, and understanding the behavior of light rays in the presence of massive objects.

4. Are there any real-world examples of geodesic deviation?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of geodesic deviation. One notable example is the precession of the orbit of Mercury, which can be explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity and the effects of geodesic deviation. Other examples include the bending of light around massive objects and the gravitational waves detected by LIGO.

5. Is there any current research on geodesic deviation?

Yes, there is ongoing research on geodesic deviation in various fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and general relativity. Scientists are constantly exploring new ways to use geodesic deviation to understand the behavior of objects in curved space-time and to test the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity.