What properties of a material make it a good insulator and opaque?

• Thread starter chmmr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
In summary: The modifier "almost" is used because there are exceptions to the statement that a transparent material is a good insulator. One such exception is NaCl, which can be seen through but is not a very good insulator due to its ionic conductivity. (c) An opaque insulator can be created by a microstructure that contains materials with high refractive index differences. This causes light to scatter and not pass through the material. For example, a plastic with embedded particles of a material with a higher refractive index than the plastic itself would create an opaque insulator.(d) Alvin's mistake was that he assumed the opaque fibers were not suitable for use in the semiconductor lasers because they did not allow visible light to pass through
chmmr

Homework Statement

This is a multi-part problem.

Visible light spans a range of wavelength between 0.4-0.7 nm, corresponding to a photon energy between about 1.8 and 3.1 eV.

(a) An old practical test says that if you can see through a piece of material, it is almost certainly a good insulator. Why?

(b) Why the modifier "almost"? How can a transparent material fail to be a good insulator? Hint: You can see through NaCl if you squint, but it is not a very good insulator.

(c) On the other hand, there are many good insulators that you cannot see through, including both opaque ceramics and brightly colored plastics. Describe at least one possible microstructure that creates an opaque insulator.

(d) Alvin, a random undergraduate of great academic promise, got a summer job with a technology company. He was assigned to the mail room. While inspecting incoming materials, he came across a box labeled optical fibers, which were metallic gray in color and totally opaque. He sent them back as rejects. His boss fired him, saying, "The fibers you returned were super-high-tech fibers for use with our hot new semiconductor lasers, and were desperately needed. They are exceptionally clear and transparent." What was Alvin's mistake?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=899393&postcount=4 but I don't think it's the model my teacher uses.

(a) Since emitted light is caused by electrons moving from high energy states to low energy states across a band gap, if it is transparent it means the band gap is larger than 3.1 eV. Since the band gap is so large electrons cannot cross from the valence band to the conduction band.

What I want to know is, what happens when the energy gap is less than 1.8 eV? I know if there is no band gap, the material is a conductor and the appearance is metallic. But shouldn't it be transparent as well?

I suspect it has something to do with the post I linked at the top, but I don't know how.

(b) Because NaCl is an ionic conductor, it does not conduct by electrons, but whole ions, which are unrelated to opacity.

(c) This question is the one I'm having the most trouble with. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic absorbs light at a high frequency (above visible) and emits light at a lower, visible frequency.

(d) The "hot new semiconductor laser" emits light that is in the infrared, so the fibers do not need to respond to visible light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can see though it then it's probably an insulator because electromagnetic waves can only penetrate a short distance into a conductor. The better the conductor, the shallower the penetration.

Exception: semiconductors like ITO and Tin Oxide. These are transparent conductors.

1. What is opacity?

Opacity is a measure of how much light can pass through a material. It is the opposite of transparency, and a highly opaque material does not allow light to pass through at all.

2. How is opacity measured?

Opacity is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which can determine the amount of light that is transmitted through a material. This measurement is then converted into a percentage, with 100% being completely transparent and 0% being completely opaque.

3. What factors affect the opacity of a material?

The opacity of a material can be affected by its thickness, density, and composition. Generally, thicker and more densely packed materials will have a higher opacity, while thinner and less densely packed materials will have a lower opacity. The composition of a material, such as the presence of pigments or additives, can also impact its opacity.

4. How does insulation relate to opacity?

Insulation refers to a material's ability to resist the transfer of heat. In terms of opacity, a highly opaque material can also have good insulation properties because it does not allow heat to pass through easily. Conversely, a highly transparent material may not provide good insulation as it allows heat to pass through more easily.

5. What are some common materials with high opacity and insulation?

Materials such as aluminum foil, styrofoam, and fiberglass are known for their high opacity and insulation properties. These materials are often used in building construction and packaging to block out light and maintain temperature control.