Book for electrodynamics and relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses different textbooks for a second course on electrodynamics, with Jackson being the main textbook but considered difficult. Other recommendations are "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin, "Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifshitz (considered harder than Jackson), and Schwinger's electrodynamics text. Melia's book is also suggested but may not be available in the library. It is noted that Landau's book is concise and may require additional work with a pencil and paper, but has a unique approach to introducing Special Relativity and the action formulation of fields.
naftali
Hi,

I take a second course of electrodynamics, one of the main subjects is e.d and relativity, the lecturer use Jackson as the course's textbook.
Is there any other book which covers this subject in the same level as Jackson which is more friendly and can be used for self-study (Jackson is difficult...)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question has been asked before in the "science book discussions" forum, under "academic guidance" (where this thread is likely to be the next time you check in here).

I recommend "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin.
Check on it at Amazon.com

The book "Classical theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifschitz is also very good.

L & L is harder than Jackson.

Meir Achuz said:
L & L is harder than Jackson.

Yes, but then what matters is if the student can use the book better to get at the appropriate level than Jackson. So, the student can just get the book from the library and see if things are explained in a style that the student likes better.

I'd suggest taking a look at Schwinger's electrodynamics text.

I second the Schwinger suggestion.

I would also recommend L&L but in case you don't know, it is VERY concise. When reading along with the text, one ought to have a pencil and paper at hand to work out any gaps that Landau might leave out.
That said, Landau has a very nice way of introducing things. After introducing Special Relativity, he goes on to the action formulation of the fields which is very well done. I don't know of any other text that does it this way.

Schwinger introduces the Lagrangian density only by chapter 9 but it is a nice book to have around. It is also supposed to be a classic treatment of waveguides, seeing that was Schwinger's own work, but I haven't read that part.

I don't know about Jackson.

Why don't you look into Melia's book? https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226519589/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , I will try to look at this books in the library. We don't have Melia and Franklin there.

1. What is the difference between electrodynamics and relativity?

Electrodynamics is the study of the interactions between electric and magnetic fields, while relativity is the study of how the laws of physics behave in different frames of reference. While electrodynamics deals with the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, relativity deals with the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of these fields.

2. Are there any real-life applications of electrodynamics and relativity?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of both electrodynamics and relativity. Electrodynamics is the basis for many technologies, such as electromagnets, generators, and electric motors. Relativity has applications in areas like GPS technology, nuclear power, and particle accelerators.

3. What level of math is required to understand electrodynamics and relativity?

Electrodynamics and relativity both involve complex mathematical equations, so a strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary. Knowledge of differential equations and vector calculus is also helpful.

4. How do electrodynamics and relativity relate to each other?

Electrodynamics and relativity are closely related, as both fields were developed by Albert Einstein and are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Relativity provides the framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy, while electrodynamics provides the equations that describe the interaction of electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are some good resources for learning about electrodynamics and relativity?

There are many great books and online resources available for learning about electrodynamics and relativity. Some recommended books include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Special Relativity: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David Morin. For online resources, Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free lectures and practice problems on these topics.