Can we remove/add electrons and protons from/to atoms to create other materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting one element into another through processes such as fusion and electrolysis. While it is possible to create new elements in a laboratory setting, it requires a significant amount of energy and is not yet practical for energy production. The conversation also touches on the difference between fusion and atomic bombs and the process of creating new compounds through chemical reactions.
johnnya
Example:

Take a hydrogen atom and make it a carbon atom.

Can we do it with our current technology? If so, how do they do it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do believe that's how atomic bombs work, in an overly simplified way. Neutrons are shot into whichever radioactive element used in the bomb. It doesn't become a stable element (hence why it goes boom), but does create two different elements and extra neutrons which continue the reaction more quickly.

I think there are some ways you can calculate how to mix different elements to create other elements together. Like mixing vinegar and baking soda creates carbon dioxide and something else... However, as far as actually turning one element into another by injecting or removing electrons and protons, I would assume it would require too much energy to be practical.

But then again, it can be as simple as turning water into hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis, so it does happen!

johnnya said:
Example:

Take a hydrogen atom and make it a carbon atom.
Yes, it's called fusion, and it is the basis for fusion reactors and fuson bombs. It takes a LOT of energy.

Reactors: not yet practical - the energy out does not yet exceed the energy in.
Bombs: the fusion reaction takes so much energy that fusion bombs are triggered using atom bombs.

icez said:
I do believe that's how atomic bombs work, in an overly simplified way. Neutrons are shot into whichever radioactive element used in the bomb. It doesn't become a stable element (hence why it goes boom), but does create two different elements and extra neutrons which continue the reaction more quickly.
Fusion bombs do this. Atomic bombs do the opposite. They break large atoms into smaller atoms.

icez said:
I think there are some ways you can calculate how to mix different elements to create other elements together. Like mixing vinegar and baking soda creates carbon dioxide and something else...

No, this is merely chemistry. You are not making elements.

icez said:
But then again, it can be as simple as turning water into hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis, so it does happen!
No, again, this is merely chemistry. The hydrogen and oxygen remain hydrogen and oxygen whether they are separate as gases or together as part of a water molecule.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, it's called fusion, and it is the basis for fusion reactors and fuson bombs. It takes a LOT of energy.

I think what you rote can be a little bit confusing.

It takes a lot of energy to START fusion, but once started, fusion creates a lot of energy on itself. Given correct selection of material net effect is energy production. Look through the window :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
I think what you rote can be a little bit confusing.

It takes a lot of energy to START fusion, but once started, fusion creates a lot of energy on itself.

Did you read the next line?

Reactors: not yet practical - the energy out does not yet exceed the energy in.

DaveC426913 said:
Did you read the next line?

Yes - and I still thought some clarification won't hurt.

Call me a nitpicker if you want :tongue2:

Borek said:
Yes - and I still thought some clarification won't hurt.

True. It was vague.

To mention one of the few chemically relevant processes: The first synthesis of Perbromate started from the 83-selenate. Beta decay of the selenium yielded for the first time macroscopic quantities of 82-perbromate.

Last edited:

1. Can we remove electrons and protons from atoms?

Yes, we can remove electrons and protons from atoms. This process is known as ionization and is commonly used in various scientific fields such as chemistry and physics.

2. Can we add electrons and protons to atoms?

Yes, we can add electrons and protons to atoms. This can be done through a process called atomic fusion, where two or more atoms combine to create a new element with a different number of protons and electrons.

3. Can we create other materials by removing or adding electrons and protons from atoms?

Yes, we can create other materials by removing or adding electrons and protons from atoms. This process is known as synthesis and is used to produce a wide range of materials, from metals to polymers.

4. What happens to an atom when electrons are removed or added?

When electrons are removed from an atom, it becomes positively charged. When electrons are added to an atom, it becomes negatively charged. These changes in charge can affect the properties and behavior of the atom.

5. Can we control the number of electrons and protons in an atom?

Yes, we can control the number of electrons and protons in an atom through various methods such as ionization, atomic fusion, and synthesis. However, there are limitations to how much we can manipulate the number of particles in an atom, as it is determined by the atom's atomic structure.