Limit of orthogonal lines to straight line help?

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem known as the stair-step paradox. It involves finding the shortest path between two points using orthogonal lines, and how the total distance traveled in each successive path remains the same despite eventually matching the shortest path. However, mathematically, this does not add up and highlights the error of interchanging a limit with another operation.
Jonnyb42
Yesterday I thought of a math problem, and it seems very simple, as I assume the solution is, and I want to know the answer more than I want to figure it out myself.

Ok imagine point A and point B. The shortest path from A to B is a straight line. Let's now go from A to B in two orthogonal lines. I like to think of a right triangle as the two different paths, (hypotenuse is the shortest path and the legs form the longer path.) Now, if you take yet another path but in 4 lines, and then in 8 lines, 16 lines, and on and on, you will eventually be matching the shortest path, or the hypotenuse, however the problem is, the total distance traveled in each successive path is still the same, how does it all of a sudden get to the shortest? In other words the limit as the number of component paths you take, n (n being even and and in the pattern, 2,4,8,16... required geometrically) goes to infinity of the total distance travelled, the path seems to go to the hypotenuse, yet mathematically remains the sum of the two legs, making it seem like (if each leg is 1 unit) 2 = sqrt(2) which of course is wrong.

http://reshall.site11.com/dia1.bmp

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The stair-step paradox is a classic! Basically, it amounts to a proof that in no mathematical structure can the following two statements both be true:

1. The sequence of stair-steps converges to the diagonal segment
  2. Length is a continuous function of one-dimensional shapes

In a structure where (1) is true, this becomes a classic error of interchanging a limit with another operation. You computed two numbers:
  1. You took the limit of shapes, then found the length
  2. You found the lengths, then took the limit of numbers

There is no reason to think the two calculations should give the same result, aside from the fact many useful operations are allowed to be interchanged with limits. Alas, this is not one of them.

1. What is the definition of a limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line?

The limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line is a mathematical concept that represents the point of intersection between a set of orthogonal lines and a straight line as the number of orthogonal lines approaches infinity.

2. How is the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line calculated?

The limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line is calculated by finding the slope of the straight line and then finding the slope of each of the orthogonal lines. The limit is then found by taking the reciprocal of the slope of the straight line and adding it to the sum of the reciprocal of the slopes of the orthogonal lines.

3. What is the significance of the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line?

The limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line helps in understanding the behavior of a set of orthogonal lines as they approach a straight line. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry to solve problems involving intersecting lines or planes.

4. Can the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line be negative?

Yes, the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line can be negative. This indicates that the set of orthogonal lines is approaching the straight line from the opposite direction, forming an acute angle with the straight line.

5. How does the concept of the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line relate to real-world scenarios?

The concept of the limit of orthogonal lines to a straight line has real-world applications in fields such as architecture, where it is used to determine the angle at which two walls meet. It is also used in surveying to determine the slope of land and in computer graphics to create 3D models.