Classical Thermodynamics for Statistical Mechanics

In summary, if you are studying thermodynamics with the intention of later studying statistical mechanics, you will need to focus on understanding basic terminology such as intensive and extensive properties, state and path functions, thermal equilibrium, and the second law of thermodynamics. You may also benefit from understanding concepts such as entropy and the practical applications of thermodynamics, but these are not essential for your study of statistical mechanics. Additionally, be cautious of relating the results of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics too closely, as this can lead to conceptual difficulties.
msaleh87
Hi all,
It's my first time to ask a question here

I am now taking a Thermodynamics course and I have the authority to choose what topics to study in this course.
My intention is to be able to study statistical mechanics afterward. So I need thermodynamics that will be useful when studying statistical mechanics.

So I'd like to ask: what thermodynamics topics I will need if I will study statistical mechanics.

another question is: I am studynig from a rather old book "Heat and Thermodynamics by zemansky". Is this a good book?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
msaleh87 said:
So I'd like to ask: what thermodynamics topics I will need if I will study statistical mechanics.

Thanks

You will need to understand the basic terminology in thermodynamics. Such as, intensive and extensive properties, state and path functions, thermal equilibrium, etc. Also the second law and Entropy are very central.

You don't have to bother much about the practical part, like gas and steam power cycles, refrigeration, and air conditioning.

msaleh87 said:
I am now taking a Thermodynamics course and I have the authority to choose what topics to study in this course.
My intention is to be able to study statistical mechanics afterward. So I need thermodynamics that will be useful when studying statistical mechanics.

another question is: I am studynig from a rather old book "Heat and Thermodynamics by zemansky". Is this a good book?

Thanks

I haven't used Zemansky, so I can't comment on that; but I will caution you that statistical mechanics can be studied quite independently of thermodynamics and furthermore, carelessly relating the basic results of thermostatics and statistical mechanics can often lead to many conceptual difficulties for students when considering thermodynamics later.

That said, in answer to your question you will need to have a clear understanding of: equilibrium, steady state, thermal interactions, reversible process, and the Maxwell relations.

Last edited:

What is classical thermodynamics?

Classical thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It deals with macroscopic systems and their behavior, rather than the individual particles that make up those systems.

What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. It is used to understand the relationship between microscopic properties and macroscopic behavior.

What is the difference between classical thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Classical thermodynamics deals with macroscopic systems and their behavior, while statistical mechanics focuses on understanding the relationship between microscopic properties and macroscopic behavior.

What are the laws of classical thermodynamics?

The laws of classical thermodynamics are:
1. The first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.
2. The second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.
3. The third law, which states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature through a finite number of steps.

What is the significance of classical thermodynamics for statistical mechanics?

Classical thermodynamics provides the foundational principles for understanding the behavior of macroscopic systems, which is essential for statistical mechanics. It also helps explain the relationship between microscopic properties and macroscopic behavior, which is the main focus of statistical mechanics.